Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Your Build

Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Tom - build your race car, show up, and go racing. STU, STO, whatever. You'll have someone to race with and beat. This attitude of "I don't want to go racing if I can't win anything" is fucking retarded. Do you want a $4 piece of shit trophy? Awesome, the club will buy everyone a fucking $4 trophy if it means the whiners will show up with a race car. At that rate we could see 70+ car fields!

I think your work looks great Tom, and I hope you finish the car off and go racing because regardless of where you finish I know you'll have a shit pile of fun.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var!able View Post
The 2.4 swapped car will be faster then the FC in a straight line for sure. Tom use to have it in his street car and it was pretty quick. A pretty even match for my ITR, until we reach speeds that were only safe for closed course driving. Then the extra HP would allow the ITR to pull away a little.

That was without the cams. With the additions of the cams and the level of weight reduction. The only chance your going to have is driver / braking.

During the chumpcar race I think the best times we put down were around the 1:36 mark with Julian and I driving the car. That was without the engine swap and some seriously messed up suspension issues. With the 2.4 and a properly setup suspension I would bet you could knock at least 3-4 seconds off that. What kind of times did the FC run ?
no idea what times the fc ran at race city cuz no one bothered to time me when it was running proper the 2nd day. no idea what speeds it was hitting either because no speedo so i couldn't even guess.... but i will guess... and say its probably a safe bet its a 133 second car with starspecs. that's based off my mr-2 running 135 3-4 years ago (which is a slower car, mainly due to shit alignment vs gud alignment) with re01s (not re01r's, the tire before those), and 3-4 years ago well, ya, thats a long time ago so i think i could do better now.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhao kan View Post
i dont know. that mentality is fine for time attack or lapping where it is impossible to have equal cars and is really just a good place to practice driving (i have always only cared about beating myself there)

but road racing... the whole point to that is to try to win isn't it? i know your first year should be about getting ur ass handed to u, because u dont know really how the classing works or where ur car stacks up or what it needs to compete, and u dont know anything about the other drivers and how they drive..., but after that, dont u want to go for wins?

i dont understand the fun of being a backmarker or rolling chicane in a race with no hope of winning. wouldn't it be more fun to have a shot at winning? otherwise its just a glorified lapping day. I know it'd be more fun for me if there were 10 cars all exactly the same (or even close to being the same) and it was a drivers race.

i also think close competition is what is addictive. i can't imagine doing 20 years of road racing with a car that's guaranteed only to beat people in its class that DNF. i can imagine doing 20 years of road racing though with and against competitive cars.
The entire purpose of road racing is to have battles, not win in some defined class (Yay I got first IT2 and there was even 3 other people in the class!!!OMG I R FASTEST!)

As for the backmarker/rolling chicane bs, you understand that even if my car was classed in GT1 and there is still a ton of ppl on the track that I will be passing, all you IT-x guys come to mind. But then you say, "but your car is faster so it wont be fun anyway" To hell with that. Any pass will be awesome in my mind idk wtf youre driving (awe yea lapped the Yugo 15 times this race, I still rule!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon_x View Post
I actually like this mentality. No one is getting a racing contract, not everyone cares to stand on a podium, sometimes it just feels good to drive what you built and have fun.
I want a car that is fun to drive fast, if I get to pass ppl even better.

Last edited by dc2696; 09-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 AM
P1

Send a message via MSN to Var!able

So what your saying is, you want to do lapping, but pass in the corners ?

So Much Win Racing: Fabrication, Preparation, Awesome

Contact Me at 780.270.1851 via phone or txt message for your race fab needs.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var!able View Post
So what your saying is, you want to do lapping, but pass in the corners ?
Because racing is so much different than that?

Like I said, I want battles, whether it's guys in my class or not.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStar Racing View Post
The entire purpose of road racing is to have battles, not win in some defined class (Yay I got first IT2 and there was even 3 other people in the class!!!OMG I R FASTEST!)

As for the backmarker/rolling chicane bs, you understand that even if my car was classed in GT1 and there is still a ton of ppl on the track that I will be passing, all you IT-x guys come to mind. But then you say, "but your car is faster so it wont be fun anyway" To hell with that. Any pass will be awesome in my mind idk wtf youre driving (awe yea lapped the Yugo 15 times this race, I still rule!)

I want a car that is fun to drive fast, if I get to pass ppl even better.
classing is to make cars close. just passing whoever is for noobcannon driving. omgz, i totally kept up with that guy that had 200hp less then me and was only 1000lbs heavier . beating up on slow cars gets boring quickly imo. i have zero thrill every time i pass the volvo; that's not really fun cuz it doesn't prove anything. the whole point to racing is to prove ur better then someone else at....... driving? although some like the car building, or the stretching the rules thing, or the just proving they can buy wins, but usually, its about proving ur a better driver, or it should be, cuz that's what pro racing is generally labeled as being about.

i look for battles of driver vs driver not car vs car; in theory, the cars in ur class should be very equal. power to weight wise, that IT2 integra and the IT2 miatas, and my fc are all very similar for power to weight. that it2 integra is atleast in the 15s power to weight, if the miatas are stock weight and stock power (i'm going to go out on a limb and say tehy're probably not stock power to weight ratio? but who cares), 17, even if my header and exhuast give 10hp over stock and weighs 2600 pounds, its 17 power to weight. beating those cars in a similar car means more then nothing imo, and that makes it fun.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.

Last edited by zhao kan; 09-04-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Moan whine complain. Race anyway.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Co-driver

Some stuff happened.

2012-09-04 22.05.58 by chicht, on Flickr
Finished plumbing the rear brakes, and proportioning valve (bottom center)
Somethings up with the RR corner, its not bleeding very nicely. Possibly clogged bleed screw.

2012-09-03 13.19.48 by chicht, on Flickr
I wasn't overly happy with the routing of the oil lines using the sandwich plate oil filter relocation. The -AN fittings here point toward the transmission, the opposite direction of the oil filter, and cooler. Since the oil filter housing unbolts from the pan, I figured I'd just tap the pan for those fittings.

2012-09-03 13.55.57 by chicht, on Flickr
Ghetto work-holding ensued.

2012-09-03 14.57.30 by chicht, on Flickr
Voila! I've eliminated a couple of pieces and the fittings point in the right direction.

In addition to being an inch to the bumper support, I mounted the oil-cooler deliberately flexibly with the hope that a minor shunt will not damage it. Not pictured for some reason.

2012-09-04 22.10.09 by chicht, on Flickr
This is a photo of the area formerly known as the "passenger side" of the car. A side exit is planned to save some weight on the exhaust, but with noise restrictions I know I will need a proper muffler, straight through doesn't cut it in my experience. This leaves me strapped for space, mounting it under the car is obviously not an option for ground clearance.

2012-09-06 20.05.35 by chicht, on Flickr
That ought to do. I'll fabricate a sheet metal section to cover that, and the exhaust will exit out the sill of the car just behind the "passenger" door.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Co-driver

What I am trying to figure out is, why this sounds like a square peg into round hole issue?

Why not just buy a cheap car that fits well within a class and race it instead of the Neon? The Cheat-Machine can't possibly be cheap enough to justify being poorly classed. SMW seems to be able to do cages pretty cheap, the prep work for IT2 and the like can't be THAT exhaustive and now you have all winter to prep said cheap car...? Or is it just not a problem and you are going to race the Neon and be done with it?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
What I am trying to figure out is, why this sounds like a square peg into round hole issue?

Why not just buy a cheap car that fits well within a class and race it instead of the Neon? The Cheat-Machine can't possibly be cheap enough to justify being poorly classed. SMW seems to be able to do cages pretty cheap, the prep work for IT2 and the like can't be THAT exhaustive and now you have all winter to prep said cheap car...? Or is it just not a problem and you are going to race the Neon and be done with it?
........that. It wouldn't have even been hard to convert this car to IT2 spec, junk yard engine, put a dash in and ballast it up to weight.

I'd rather put the time into building the car I want to have and worry about being competitive later. Not that the neon is my dream race car or anything, but its what I know.