Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > General Automotive Chat

Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default Shopping list: $30K budget, RWD, Manual

So i've managed to convert a friend into full on RWD / manual love. She's planning on selling her AWD / autotragic Audi, and wants something that handles well, is RWD, manual, and, this is important: She wants power and reliability, as this is to be a year-round daily driver.

I'm building a list of potentials that so far includes:

1) a new or used 370z (new is attractive given the $30K base price of a 2017 enthusiast edition);
2) a used Toyobaru with a ~5K supercharger to be sourced after purchase (ideally finding a low km clean car without mods);
3) an E46 M3 with the subframe issues already repaired since I know JustinL winters his with great success;
4) an LSx swapped FD or RX-8 (i'm not so sure this would be a good platform to transition to, or to winter drive for her... but it's within the budget).

I've ruled out the Genesis in both turbo and V6 form because i've driven several of them and really don't like the steering feel, weight of the car, transmission, etc.

Miata and s2000 are out due to practicality of wintering those cars, as well as the lack of power without going F/I.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or know of cars for sale that we should check out?
'07 RX-8 - <3
'91 RX-7 Vert - Work daily

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (Bandit FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (Bandit FC, PTC Edition)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Driver

Wrenching is a requirement with the E46M3. The cars are all at the age now where the rubber is cracking, alternators are going, etc. Unless she is prepared to turn the wrench or pay someone to turn the wrench she won't like it. They do drive beautifully and make a lot of power for their age/displacement. Great cars, but go in eyes open. They do well in the winter, but you can't really use the power when there's snow on the ground. I think that's why I like the Toyobaru (even though I haven't driven one) is because for winter driving it probably still has more than enough power.
944 S2 Race car
944 team car (25% owner)
VW Touareg Tow rig

We choose to race 944s. We choose to race 944s, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Used Cayman

/thread

Full course: 70.467Eddie's S: 73.39

2015 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Subaru Impreza
2005 Chevy 2500 HD
Old 09-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Newb

If she's used to paying for the upkeep on an Audi, she should be accustomed to the costs of keeping a rather old BMW or old(ish) Porsche on the road. An Audi, Porsche, or an antique BMW all have, shall we say, breathtaking upkeep costs.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Pit crew

My M3 hasn't really had any problems, but I don't really drive it. And def not in the winter.

That said, it's still due for an Inspection 2 this fall. Probably around 5~600$ in parts already scheduled, plus anything else I find.

At least you can get the oil at napa, for $15/L!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:38 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrenan View Post
Used Cayman

/thread
Please use only proper names on this forum ... We all know you meant 'Cockster' but please refrain from using such language in future.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:22 AM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
So i've managed to convert a friend into full on RWD / manual love. She's planning on selling her AWD / autotragic Audi, and wants something that handles well, is RWD, manual, and, this is important: She wants power and reliability, as this is to be a year-round daily driver.

I'm building a list of potentials that so far includes:

1) a new or used 370z (new is attractive given the $30K base price of a 2017 enthusiast edition);
2) a used Toyobaru with a ~5K supercharger to be sourced after purchase (ideally finding a low km clean car without mods);
3) an E46 M3 with the subframe issues already repaired since I know JustinL winters his with great success;
4) an LSx swapped FD or RX-8 (i'm not so sure this would be a good platform to transition to, or to winter drive for her... but it's within the budget).

Miata and s2000 are out due to practicality of wintering those cars, as well as the lack of power without going F/I.
Is this like a precursor to tracking the car since it must be rwd and powerful?

A 370z in the winter I'd probably take a pass on that myself but maybe they're not terrible in the snow/ice? I know the ice mode tries to kill you on the track though lol and I hate the blind spots they have.

New Miata would be legit, why is it not practical? Or one of the twins with money left over for extra sets of nice summer wheels/coils etc.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Wrenching is a requirement with the E46M3. The cars are all at the age now where the rubber is cracking, alternators are going, etc. Unless she is prepared to turn the wrench or pay someone to turn the wrench she won't like it. They do drive beautifully and make a lot of power for their age/displacement. Great cars, but go in eyes open. They do well in the winter, but you can't really use the power when there's snow on the ground. I think that's why I like the Toyobaru (even though I haven't driven one) is because for winter driving it probably still has more than enough power.
She is definitely prepared to turn a wrench, in fact she is thrilled to do mechanical work which comes second only to driving. I'm more concerned about how often she might have to do so and the cost of parts / need for proprietary tools. Is it a fairly significant investment to get into DIY repairing for BMWs?

Another suggestion that has come up is a used 135i... I wonder about the N54 or N55 reliability though.

Chrenan's Cayman suggestion is very interesting, though I had thought getting a decent one means paying somewhere in the 35-40K range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
Is this like a precursor to tracking the car since it must be rwd and powerful?

A 370z in the winter I'd probably take a pass on that myself but maybe they're not terrible in the snow/ice? I know the ice mode tries to kill you on the track though lol and I hate the blind spots they have.

New Miata would be legit, why is it not practical? Or one of the twins with money left over for extra sets of nice summer wheels/coils etc.
This car will do track and AutoX days most likely, depending on what happens with her dedicated track car plan that has been a bit derailed by a shitty transaction with a shady seller.

I think a 370 should be fine in the winter with a good set of tires and stock suspension, plenty of clearance compared to my car which plows the streets and only cost me a new undertray in the process lol.

The new Miata looks great and probably drives awesome, but it doesn't have enough power. She's been driving my car and loves the handling/steering feel, but wants torque off the line.

Thanks all for your suggestions and input so far!
'07 RX-8 - <3
'91 RX-7 Vert - Work daily

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (Bandit FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (Bandit FC, PTC Edition)
Old 09-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Newb

I was once taught that when tracking a car, always in the back of one's mind remember that things can (and sometimes do) go wrong and that one should be prepared to be able to walk away from the investment of money, time, and emotion in the car should something bad happen on the track.
The other thing to remember, is to have a contingency plan to get to work on Monday morning should something break/blow up, ( or god forbid something worse happen) to your track car, if it is also your only daily driver. I have witnessed people face that reality on many occasions, and it can add to the stress of the breakdown incident.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
Chrenan's Cayman suggestion is very interesting, though I had thought getting a decent one means paying somewhere in the 35-40K range?
You could easily talk this one down to $30K and it has basically no miles on it:

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_28591635?...1&orup=2_10_92

This Cayman S is well under $30K, but cars from Quebec make me nervous.

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_28550084?...1&orup=1_10_92

Full course: 70.467Eddie's S: 73.39

2015 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Subaru Impreza
2005 Chevy 2500 HD