Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

I really like 6 and think it would be invaluable as a promoting tool, and would increase hte prestige of driving. i think i've said something like that before too as the legends guys did that on their website.

Its not that hard to do, obviously its too late for it to matter this year, but something like that could be done for next year easy enough in theory.

For something like that though, definitely need a picture of their car, the driver in driving suit, and a few lines of info. name, class, maybe sponsors, mods, lap times, etc.

Ideally it should be incorporated into LA1k next year where people might actually spectate. I always liked knowing who the hell was going around the track in front of me when i watched events.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

An idea that has been floating around in my head for a while now:

It is well know that there is a lack of professional ladder system in Canadian auto racing. I am not trying to fix that, it is more of an infrastructure problem anyway. There is also a big disconnect between the different forms of autosport, even within the WCMA.

I would like to see more connection between these. With events like the LA1K (which I hope to see continue) there ends up being an event where there is the potential need for more drivers than cars. It would be helpful if experience gained in one form could be applied to qualifying for the credential required by another. This would create a situation where participants can feel like they are "leveling up" and make things a little easier on the organizers (there would be a small, steady stream of people graduating from one level to another). There is no guarantee that this will mean more participants, but it won't mean fewer.

It could be voluntary, ie: if you want to qualify for another discipline, you would have to register and have a log book. I believe it would be appropriate to have fee for this.

It would also require that the WCMA agree what experience was relevant and how much was required.

My opinion is that anyone who has run a half dozen auto-x (or a couple lapping days) would be perfectly fine (with a classroom session about flags, lines, and procedures) to run time attack ... Or a couple time attacks and a one day school to get a race license.

I believe that the events would have to be WCMA sanctioned (not that trackjunkies wouldn't be just fine experience for a time attack license) so that they are "official".

I think that it would go some way to creating a sense of community and connection to all the WCMA. It would also lend credibility to every level from lapping (the easiest form of Motorsport to get into) to amateur road racing (the hardest).
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

I already did a proposal for streamlining time attack licensing more. its been up for over a month and no response. I assume people are busy though, but I'm not going away with my proposal until something is done about it or there is a dialog about it, preferably before AGM but there is always that.

http://www.wcma.ca/forum/index.php?topic=707.0

You're largely preaching to the choir with me, although i dont value autocross or lapping quite that much to say 6 sessions is definitely good period. It'd take decades to learn in autocross what you can learn in years at lapping (and I dont think i'll ever meet someone with merely 6 autocrosses that even comes close to knowing what they're doing, but i've seen people in 6 lapping events get fast enough that they'd be pulling away from veteran road racers in the same car (em2ftl, and would say diesel dakota too for who comes to mind first)), and just like in lapping you dont quite get the expeirence of driving door to door that road racing gives, there are things in autocross you just dont focus on learning that lapping can teach.

What I agree with you on, and will disagree with the current sanctioning body mentality, is that skills learned in lapping, time attack, or heaven help me for saying it, autocross, directly translate to road racing or time attack. To say autocross/lapping experience isn't worth anything for time attack, and lapping/time attack experience isn't worth anything for road racing, that seems rather illogical to me. Lapping and time attack teach you absolutely everything you need to know in a road race except for how to go door to door, funny thing about that though, the road race school doesn't teach you that either on track...... where do you learn that? On the track in a road race. I learned how to pass and go door to door outside of the road race school we had here.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhao kan View Post
I already did a proposal for streamlining time attack licensing more. its been up for over a month and no response. I assume people are busy though, but I'm not going away with my proposal until something is done about it or there is a dialog about it, preferably before AGM but there is always that.

You're largely preaching to the choir with me, although i dont value autocross or lapping quite that much to say 6 sessions is definitely good period. It'd take decades to learn in autocross what you can learn in years at lapping (and I dont think i'll ever meet someone with merely 6 autocrosses that even comes close to knowing what they're doing, but i've seen people in 6 lapping events get fast enough that they'd be pulling away from veteran road racers in the same car (em2ftl, and would say diesel dakota too for who comes to mind first)), and just like in lapping you dont quite get the expeirence of driving door to door that road racing gives, there are things in autocross you just dont focus on learning that lapping can teach.

What I agree with you on, and will disagree with the current sanctioning body mentality, is that skills learned in lapping, time attack, or heaven help me for saying it, autocross, directly translate to road racing or time attack. To say autocross/lapping experience isn't worth anything for time attack, and lapping/time attack experience isn't worth anything for road racing, that seems rather illogical to me. Lapping and time attack teach you absolutely everything you need to know in a road race except for how to go door to door, funny thing about that though, the road race school doesn't teach you that either on track...... where do you learn that? On the track in a road race. I learned how to pass and go door to door outside of the road race school we had here.

For me, the 'x' number of events is more about showing that you can play by the rules and not be a total ass hat. There are people who will be fast from the get go and people who will never be fast even with 10,000 laps. None of this means that, fast or slow, they can't have fun and be safe on the track. Both can be equally dangerous too if they are unaware or apathetic.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhao kan View Post

I'm still learning about how the WCMA machine works, but I'm guessing that the AGM will be where the issue gets discussed in earnest and not on the forum. The WCMA executive, by and large, are not terrifically active online. Also the WCMA forum has had tech issues (now resolved I think) that kept a lot of people away and so it's not a busy place. I think you could help yourself by writing a more concise summary of the specific change you'd like to see and present that at the AGM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormojo View Post
I'm still learning about how the WCMA machine works, but I'm guessing that the AGM will be where the issue gets discussed in earnest and not on the forum. The WCMA executive, by and large, are not terrifically active online. Also the WCMA forum has had tech issues (now resolved I think) that kept a lot of people away and so it's not a busy place. I think you could help yourself by writing a more concise summary of the specific change you'd like to see and present that at the AGM.
We all know the internet is made of cats (it is an established fact). We also know that witches use cats as familiars. Ergo, the internet is made of witchcraft .... Can you really blame the old school WCMA'ers for being suspisious of such a construct?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Pit crew

i think Gerard with the spec miata , myself with the honda cup and jed and brooke with challenge car have the right idea in promotion grass roots racing in alberta, promote a class get prize money generate interest. level playing field

spec miata is essentially a poster child on how to promote and grow a class from nothing to the major draw to road racing

one of which i am following with the honda cup.

class reps would be a big advantage to take the concerns and request to wcma and nascc for that class
Old 07-19-2014, 05:31 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Class reps worked great for ice racing and for the 10+years CC has been around. What is being done with SM & HC is not new, but is a tried and true format for growing car count.

See Honda Michelin, Players thunderslugs, etc, etc, etc
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al36rx7 View Post
There likely is sufficient gopro, etc cameras being used on any given race weekend that could provide a multi class view of what a race weekend looks like. The spec miata group would likely show some good close competition, going to Brooke showing why he always has spare front bumpers or a GT1 or 2 car giving a pretty good perspective of acceleration....and not the least, the OW cars will show some pretty good shots of how close to the ground can you go.

This race report effort will likely take a reasonable effort by someone (s) but it could get a few more people that are on the fence to come join the madness.

PS...Good thread idea
Really old post from this spring, I know. Just digging up this idea a little further, started thinking about a month ago in more detail around Recording events from Multiple Camera's, sans the various ideas above this, along with in-car footage, standings etc.

I work in the Tech field, and may scratch my head over the first part of the winter if anything can be pulled together to at least experiment. In any initial version it would absolutely be a 'post-race' broadcast, aka - YouTube, not a live-stream thing, as that's way more complex and potentially costly.

It may come to nothing, but it's a good subject for everyone to keep commenting and throwing ideas around on. The newer GoPro camera's have decent WiFi range, that most of the track could probably be covered with a good router, and one or two WiFi extenders...(keeping them dry and performing well could be a challenge for rain events...).

For now I've posted two races from Mission on the September long weekend that were single camera (from stands), no personal audio commentary (just text overlay). All VERY VERY rudimentary, and a bit of an afterthought once I got home and decided to do up the video: https://www.youtube.com/user/DrivingShift

But it's a start, and the concept of getting local Grassroots Road Racing some actual video/internet coverage really interests me to investigate further
Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Newb

A good mix like this?

http://youtu.be/i3bfo5T6yik

Good seeing you out at Mission Scott,

Roger