Straightpipe Forums
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Driver

I'm not sure how they are breaking even at that price point for the full course. We barely broke even with the PCA last year with the cheap insurance we can get with the club and the required ambulance. Maybe the prices have come down a bit.

I'm glad I'm not organizing any events next year. It's a lot of work and stress, so thanks everyone who does it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
This is interesting.. found on 780tuners (http://forums.780tuners.com/showthre...ceway-Schedule!!!)

$150 for full course evening lapping? Are there less marshalls required to run a bike event, or is it reasonable to think some sort of revived Speedway event could operate near that price point?
Track Attacks have always turned a very healthy profit (opposite of Speedway) because they charge the same but have many, many more entrants.

They can run more bikes on track at any given time because:

1)there is no special equipment required (my opinion, if you own a sport bike, and don't own full equipment, you are dumb)
2) they require less space per each
3)it is a bigger market
4) it is run as a school
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm0791 View Post
Track Attacks have always turned a very healthy profit (opposite of Speedway) because they charge the same but have many, many more entrants.

They can run more bikes on track at any given time because:

1)there is no special equipment required (my opinion, if you own a sport bike, and don't own full equipment, you are dumb)
2) they require less space per each
3)it is a bigger market
4) it is run as a school
Ahhh there's the answer. Thanks Chris.
'91 RX-7 Vert - Sold
'07 RX-8 - May the Renesis motor burn in the fires of hell for eternity
'19 370z - 10 year old new car lol

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (FC, PTC Edition)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Ahhh there's the answer. Thanks Chris.
So ... How do we apply that to getting more people out at TimeAttacks?

Castrol is bigger so more cars per session is possible ...

Speedway may operate under "school" insurance anyway (not unreasonable)

The cars are out there why aren't they running?
Available spots is part of it, but what else?

Safety equipment doesn't factor unless you consider the highest levels at TrackJunkies or WCMA TimeAttack

Profit ... Hmmm ... Tougher ... If Castrol can go ahead with wide open Wednesdays that may have the best chance of being profitable ... If it can combine with the drag strip then maybe some expenses can be shared. (With an ambulance perhaps a greater density of cars can be run?) and you are not stacking profit between two organizations

I think that Castrol wants to see it work (the road course in general) and the 'civilian' component of that is proven in other venues (motorcycles and drag racing) ... Maybe someone needs to pitch them on the idea that they need someone with experience to help run things *cough* Speedway *cough* ...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Driver

Well Matt and Co. didn't rule out a Speedway return, it's just for this 2014 season they're gonna take a break.

Sounds to me like they are probably planning to get up and going at Castrol in the future, but I'm sure there will need to be some discussion with Castrol on their part to get it to work, which is gonna naturally take time.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BMW View Post
Well Matt and Co. didn't rule out a Speedway return, it's just for this 2014 season they're gonna take a break.

Sounds to me like they are probably planning to get up and going at Castrol in the future, but I'm sure there will need to be some discussion with Castrol on their part to get it to work, which is gonna naturally take time.
I guess that is what I am getting at ... There needs to be some dialog between Castrol, the various groups that might take part, and those with experience organizing events like this. For that matter ... See what is working at other tracks.

I can understand Castrol's, or any track's, desire to transfer risk (for profit and loss aswell as legal liability) by renting the track rather than organizing events. The wait and see attitude may work out best for everyone. If there are a lot of open dates then negotiating becomes more relivant for both sides.

If there are a lot of empty (mid week) dates by mid summer, then it may be a reality to run a couple events this year, at a discount rental, as a proof of concept sort of thing.

I am not holding my breath but it is a possibility worth considering.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Newb

Quote:
This is interesting.. found on 780tuners (http://forums.780tuners.com/showthre...ceway-Schedule!!!)

$150 for full course evening lapping? Are there less marshalls required to run a bike event, or is it reasonable to think some sort of revived Speedway event could operate near that price point?
Cool! Maybe I'll take the gas-saver CBR-125 out once this year too!

I will unleash all 125 cc's of FURY! >:O
Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherfire View Post
Cool! Maybe I'll take the gas-saver CBR-125 out once this year too!

I will unleash all 125 cc's of FURY! >:O
Still the most scared I have ever been on a motorcycle ... And I owned a Fireblade before that...
Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 AM
Pit crew

Default It begins

Heading to Miller Motorsports this weekend for the first NASA race of the season, should be fun although I usually scare the crap out of myself the first session after being away from the track all winter.

Got a new wrap on the car over the winter.

photo[8] copy.jpg
Old 03-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Looks great Russ! Have fun down there, make sure to come back with pics and video!

Full course: 70.467Eddie's S: 73.39

2015 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Subaru Impreza
2005 Chevy 2500 HD