Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > Club Discussion

Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Pit crew

Send a message via MSN to Lil_Guard_Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Lil_Guard_Dog
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
Derp.

I didn't understand a word of that. It was WAY over my head. I know what a mouse and keyboard are man.

As for the set up. Set small anchor screws into the wall studs behind the stand You'll be good to go, extending it as much as you want.
LOL, basically I took it the same way as tweaking a car for the track...adjust something...run a bunch of laps. adjust something else, run more, and decide if it's better or worse. To the tune of almost 3 months of playing to get the stable head thing working "right" for me.

As for the rift portion. There's a Virtual Reality hardware display called the "Occulus Rift" that's similar to scuba goggles that actually mounts the screen/s to your head to make a proper 3D headset that iRacing is supporting, including full head movement/tracking, which would make it as close to seeming like you're in the cars as possible. They haven't released a full retail version yet, as they're still in development, but you can get the "Dev Kit" which is a pre-release version. I want one as then I don't have to worry about lack of being able to see in iRacing, as if I want to look beside me, or in my mirrors to know if there's someone coming up on me, I can just do what I'd do in real life, and turn my head and look. With a regular monitor, you can't do that, and even with triple monitor setups (Which take a ridicioulous amount of space and money) you still can't get the same immersion as moving your head to look around with, as you wouldn't have the periphial vision of the racing environment.

As for the support for my stand, I thought about actually mounting it to the walls, or supporting it with a brace to the wall, but since I'm in a government funded apartment, they're REALLY strict on a lot of stuff, which is why I went through the hassle of finding an actual floor stand that could extend the TV closer or further away from me with a 28" range instead of just mounting the blasted thing on the wall like I wanted to originally. I still may just do that anyways, although if I snag the above mentioned rift (Virtual Reality headset) I may not have to worry about it, since I won't actually be using any of the normal displays when racing, and I don't need the screen closer to me for anything else. (Only reason I want it closer is to offer a better field of view when racing)
Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 AM
Co-driver

I made a few more changes to my sim rig recently. I think I'm up to about version 4.0 of this evolving configuration. If I ever get so something that feels "finished" I may even splurge and slap some black paint on it.

Before Christmas I'd ordered this kit:

I picked up a couple of 2 x 8's and added a base to the platform that I've been using with the http://wheelstandpro.com/. Previously, the plywood "floor" sat right on the floor of the room and it was a bit awkward getting in and out and too low for the TV which is mounted on a swing-out bracket so it can move flush against the wall.

I mounted the amp for the buttkicker under the seat where it's out of the way, but I can still access the controls.

The buttkicker and my speakers both have wired remotes which I've fixed to the side of the seat base for easy access.

The buttkicker is mounted directly below the seat. It's pretty small and I thought mounting it as close to the seat as possible would be best.

Turns out the unit has lots of power. ("good, good, good vibrations"....)

Something I hadn't anticipated is that it sends LFE vibrations through the entire platform, so you can feel it via the pedals and through the steering wheel too. Since the base is now basically a big hollow box, it kinda reverberates in a way that seems just right. Even more effective than I'd thought - running over 'gator style curbs feels pretty much like the real thing.

I have to say I'm really pleased with the amount of realism it's added. I had been thinking about it for a while and after trying the sims at Impulse Sim Racing a couple times, I was convinced it would be worthwhile. No, it's not the same as adding a full motion platform obviously, but in terms of letting your body (butt, feet, hands, ears) get a better sense of what the tires are doing it adds a tremendous amount back into the sim and takes away a lot of that sterile, disconnected sensation. Highly recommended.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Co-driver

That buttkicker speaker is a interesting idea...

I replaced my computer so Im ready for VR. For now triple monitors and a computer thats overkill.

I have found that my g27 wheel really has no brake pedal feel. Found a hydraulic pedal that fits but its expensive at about $250 USD. I then found progressive rate springs that are supposed to help a lot. The brake spring is the most important but they also sell stiffer gas and clutch springs. I have not decided yet to buy all 3 springs or just the brake one. Anyone running upgraded pedals that has some suggestions? There are two companies that make the springs for the g27, one UK and one Australia.

My wood platform to hold the car seat needs to be thrown out and I have a welding buddy who said he will help me make one. I want to be able to rest it upright on the seat back so it takes up less space when not in use. I need the room for the htc vive for other games.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
That buttkicker speaker is a interesting idea...
Anyone running upgraded pedals that has some suggestions?
I upgraded mine (G25, but same as G27) with the nixim mod. http://www.nixim.com/

It includes a progressive-rate spring and a bumpstop rubber that greatly enhances the brake feel from the stock one. I also got the clutch spring but have never installed it. I see now that they also sell a replacement gas pedal spring. Anyway, thumbs up to nixim, great bang for the buck.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Pit crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormojo View Post
I upgraded mine (G25, but same as G27) with the nixim mod. http://www.nixim.com/

It includes a progressive-rate spring and a bumpstop rubber that greatly enhances the brake feel from the stock one. I also got the clutch spring but have never installed it. I see now that they also sell a replacement gas pedal spring. Anyway, thumbs up to nixim, great bang for the buck.
Yeah I know I have the brake, can't recall if I did any others. The brake is like a required upgrade IMO. When I tried Colin's setup the lack of the spring made it impossible to modulate.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Co-driver

Saw a awesome post where they made a seat and stand out of a old recumbent exercise bike. Instead of starting from scratch on a metal frame, thats what Im going to do...

PS: They also bolted the shifter to a brace that they mounted to the side of the seat so it moves with the seat. Not shown in this picture.

Last edited by aftermath; 01-21-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Driver

Here's another idea that someone posted on rennlist:

Hopefully that image works.
944 team car (25% owner)
VW Touareg Tow rig

We choose to race 944s. We choose to race 944s, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Co-driver

I bought a recumbent bike to make a platform, now the wife sits on it every day and I need to go buy another one. Took a while to find one for $50 on kijiji. My wooden platform I made just wobbles too much.

I have the HTC VIVE and project cars running. Its is pretty cool to be in a car for sim racing. The graphics get scaled down a wee bit compared to playing using the monitors due to the processing requirements of the VR hardware. I have a very high end pc but it will take even more for the VR to have the graphics quality to match the desktop monitors. However it is pretty freaking cool, if you look at your feet and press pedals your computer feet move

Looking out the side window through a sharp corner makes it a bit more realistic and I think speed perception is a bit better. I have not played much yet, maybe 15 minutes

If you want to try it out, sure, Im just busy like everyone else but can probably make some time to let you play for a bit.

Al
Old 06-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyON View Post
Happy game release day tomorrow see you online
You're just a markov bot, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasChichak View Post
the neon is my dream race car