Straightpipe Forums
Old 03-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Pit crew

Next up at the suspension shop was replacing the wrecked trailing arm bushings with new delrin bushings and steel inserts.

First remove the factory bushing halves:

Then cut the steel lining with a hacksaw and die grinder:

Remove linings:

Press the new pieces together:

One side went together well but definitely took some effort. Unfortunately my small manual arbor press just didn't have the power to finish pressing the insert on the other side, so I need to find someone with a hydraulic press to finish this one. If anyone has a lead let me know.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:45 PM
Co-driver

I have a small princess auto press
Old 03-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Pit crew

Saturday didn't net us any obvious progress. It was all about getting the seat in a place where 4 different drivers can use it. We have one log legged driver, one long torso driver, one skinny driver, and one wide driver. It is a challenge to get the seat far enough back and low enough to have reasonable clearance from the roll cage tubing. We are also bumping the seat towards the centre of the car and putting some new holes in the floor. It's also on sliders, which again makes things trickier. We are welding in some reinfocements to the floor that will also make the landing of the seat more level.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Pit crew

To allow the cage base plates to be welded in the hatch area we proceeded to remove the plastic fuel tank. This also lets us clean it and address some old fuel lines as well.

Step 1 was removing the fuel pump cover. So gross. A mouse had setup shop beside the fuel pump.

The line from the tank started leaking as soon as it was touched, the hose clamp had rusted to the point where it wasn't holding tension and really didn't exist anymore. It was more of a rust shaped suggestion of what a hose clamp looks like.

Tank out and ready for cleaning.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Pit crew

Default A little painting

Trying out the "Rust Paint". First step was wire wheeling the rusty spots off the transmission beam and then hit it with the paint. It won't get us any points at the Concours D'Elegance, but it should keep the transmission bolted to the car. While I had the paint can ready and a rusty half-shaft being cleaned, I hit that one with some paint too. This car will be faster from just the weight reduction of the grime that's come off the axles.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Pit crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I have a small princess auto press
Thanks for the offer Al! Chris Miles was able to lend a hand with a 20 ton press. After some cleaning up on the end of the sleeve with a lathe it went in like a hot knife through butter. Thanks Chris!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944Crew View Post
Thanks for the offer Al! Chris Miles was able to lend a hand with a 20 ton press. After some cleaning up on the end of the sleeve with a lathe it went in like a hot knife through butter. Thanks Chris!
No worries ... It was easy peasy.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Pit crew

Admittedly this was a quick and dirty job. The transmission mount is basically a flat piece of steel folded over rubber guts holding the aluminium mount. I taped up the corners and cracks with some trusty duct tape and then blocked the sides with some cardboard. The urethane is pretty viscous stuff, but still finds its way through some cracks. The transmission beam has its lowest point right at the mount when it sits upside down, so any pooling is contained to the mount area. I'm sure I bonded the tape and cardboard to the mount and we'll see how it comes off when curing is finished. It will be stiffer for sure, but any future owners who go to replace the mount might be cursing me.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Pit crew

Default Baffle installed

Our hand carved oil baffle is now welded into the pan. This should help keep the 944 engine from starving for oil in the long sweepers. The #2 rod bearing is the weak spot in the 944 series engines as it's the first to get starved of oil if the pickup tube starts sucking air. In the 80's with less grippy tires this was never a problem, but even today's street tires have so much more grip and the 944 can pull far more lateral g's than the sump was ever designed for. The trap door baffle is a great first step in alleviating this and should solve most of this problem.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:45 AM
Pit crew

Default Solid Transmission mount

Urethane hardened up good. There is only a tiny bit of motion if I push pretty hard on the mount compared to the floppiness of before. I pried out the cardboard and it took a bit of the new paint with it, but it did all come out. The Aluminum bracket got cleaned up, and the threads chased before reassembly. A dab of loctite blue should keep everything from backing out until it corrodes together again. It's ready to go back in the car now.