Straightpipe Forums
Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 AM
Pit crew

Default Another Big Sunday

Lots of work got done today.

Engine: Oil pan insert installed and pan bolted to the block. Air/oil separator got new gaskets and cleaned up before installation. Intake manifold cleaned and installed. Exhaust studs swapped from spare head and headers installed.

Tub: Cut spare tire well out from the car. This makes transmission changes much easier and cleans up the back of the underside a bit. This is also a legal mod for Spec944 and 944 cup. Grinding of wire wheeling of rusty spots and the backside of the base plates in the hatch area. The undercoating only caused 2 small fires today when welding. Very glad the fuel tank was removed before trying to do this. Also cleaned up some rusty spots for the rear suspension mounts.

Seat: Drilled and fab'd mounts for the seat to move it about an inch closer to the tunnel. Finalized seating position and adjusted A pillar bar location for more head clearance.

Cage: Welded main hoop. Welded spacer plates in the trunk. Welded rear braces to base plates.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:26 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Oooooh, cagey!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:00 AM
Pit crew

Cage work continues. Today's update includes: a windshield bar, knee bar, front stays, dash install, rear banana arm bushings and JustinL's first welds.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 AM
Pit crew

Default Door Bars are hard

We started with the passenger side first to get our bearings on how to bend these pipes. Our goals were to give as much room as possible to the occupant, not make any S bends, strength, ease of exit, and actually fit the bars around the body panels. These are not easy bars to bend! We did have to make a slight S in the bars to get around some of the bodywork, but it's fairly slight. The biggest mistake we made was not noticing the door wasn't fully on its hinges when we bent everything and then when we couldn't push the door on because it was into the bars. Now there's about a 1/8" clearance between the bars and the outer door skin.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Those are some creative door bars!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Pit crew

Well the driver side got even more creative. We miss measured a bit as we were rushing to get it done and messed up the lower bar. However, we did get the roof bar done and the rear torsion tube assembled!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 AM
Newb

I'm not a cage expert by any means but you may want to run the placement of the main hoop base location by ChumpCar tech and the subsequent shape of the door bars.

I don't know 944 particulars and I am not a cage guy so don't take this as me questioning your wisdom, it just doesn't look like standard practice to me and may need tech's blessing is all I am saying. I am definitely not a 944 guy and maybe this is the only way to do it, I don't know.

Some people have pulled cars from another series to race in ChumpCar but had to make changes to the cage before they were allowed on track.

Love the footwell bar.

Last edited by Ron_e; 04-25-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:43 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Only thing that makes them weird looking is the convergence at the front.

I don't know that s bends would really have gotten any more driver space anyway. I still would have tried to push the legs of the main hoop out wider but as long as the drivers are inside the cage it probably doesn't matter.

I get why you would push both door bars out ... it allows you to gut the doors under some rules.

Why were you so against having S bends?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Pit crew

The door bars should be OK since they are similar to the "example" cage shown in the Chump car rules.

We have the same number of bends and in relatively the same spot as the picture from the rule book. We will have to break out the tape measure to ensure the spacing between the door bars is within the rules as it might be a little tighter than what is recommended. We angled the bars slightly down at the front of the car. This should allow easier entry/exit from the car.

We tried to stay away from S-bends since it is slightly weaker than having straight pipe segments. The overall bending moment is the same since the offset doesn't change (S-bend Vs. our door bar offset) but having straighter sections of pipe should be slightly stronger if they are loaded in compression as they will deflect differently.

Also, making S-bend door bars is slightly harder than what we made. Both give the driver more room and keep the initial contact if we get hit in the door further away from the driver as well.

The main hoop was placed so that connection to the base plate could be welded all around easily. The drivers seat is still well within the outside of the main hoop legs. A lot of bolt in cages for 944's that are NASA and SCCA legal have the main hoop in the spot too.

2014 Toyota Tundra TRD
Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Pit crew

Used oil filter/ external cooler console ready for cleaning and installation to engine.