Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Events & Meets

Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Newb

Not if we don't have enough to pay for the series in the first place. We are a not for profit organization. We charge enough to cover expenses, and that's it. This is why we have to use the signup system; the money we get during early signup goes to paying for our track dates.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

how many are signed up now and how many more do u need?

things that are likely hurting it in edmonton are that no one is used to having a club membership and mailing a cheque in vs paying by visa/paypal. advertising too would probably be another big cause for lack of interest. i'm on the fence cuz of those 2 issues i know. i'm pretty lazy when it comes to driving to a bank.... getting some stupid bank draft, worrying about if its filled out right, and then mailing a letter at a post office. i like just firing my visa at something instead, or bringing cash as a last resort.

i'm surprised none of the calgary guys are on board enough to sell this out cuz normally there was no real issues getting 20+ calgary guys to show up for a stratotech event, and that was when race city was around.

the locally run events seem to have more demand then supply
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be in for the series if I had a competitive car, no point in running this shitbox though. Next year..
'91 RX-7 Vert - Sold
'07 RX-8 - May the Renesis motor burn in the fires of hell for eternity
'19 370z - 10 year old new car lol

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (FC, PTC Edition)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhao kan View Post
how many are signed up now and how many more do u need?

things that are likely hurting it in edmonton are that no one is used to having a club membership and mailing a cheque in vs paying by visa/paypal. advertising too would probably be another big cause for lack of interest. i'm on the fence cuz of those 2 issues i know. i'm pretty lazy when it comes to driving to a bank.... getting some stupid bank draft, worrying about if its filled out right, and then mailing a letter at a post office. i like just firing my visa at something instead, or bringing cash as a last resort.

i'm surprised none of the calgary guys are on board enough to sell this out cuz normally there was no real issues getting 20+ calgary guys to show up for a stratotech event, and that was when race city was around.

the locally run events seem to have more demand then supply
Unfortunately these are things I would have liked to have known months ago, not a week before the deadline, lol. I advertised on here as I thought it would attract people who take part in other TA series. Using Karelo has been discussed in the past but never set up; until this year, we haven't had an issue getting enough competitors. If this year is unsuccessful, and the season has to be cancelled, I do not know what will happen next year.

When Race City was around, we could effectively pay for the series with just those events and Stratotech was a bonus. We noticed a substantial drop in attendance between RC events and ST events; 30-40 would show up for a RC event while max 20 would show for an ST event. It's tough to get people from Calgary to always drive to ST for events. The cost per weekend is higher given fuel, hotel and food.

If you look at the per event costs, our fees are lower than anyone else around, largely because we're a not for profit organization. If you signup for the full year, you're looking at $133 per day with roughly 2 hours of track time per event.

Last edited by ambystom01; 05-16-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

If you guys have a bank account you can setup a paypal account in not for profit mode. I can assist you with setting up an online store. I'd be happy to help the CSCC out as both an NASCC and Speedway member.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambystom01 View Post
Unfortunately these are things I would have liked to have known months ago, not a week before the deadline, lol. I advertised on here as I thought it would attract people who take part in other TA series. Using Karelo has been discussed in the past but never set up; until this year, we haven't had an issue getting enough competitors. If this year is unsuccessful, and the season has to be cancelled, I do not know what will happen next year.

When Race City was around, we could effectively pay for the series with just those events and Stratotech was a bonus. We noticed a substantial drop in attendance between RC events and ST events; 30-40 would show up for a RC event while max 20 would show for an ST event. It's tough to get people from Calgary to always drive to ST for events. The cost per weekend is higher given fuel, hotel and food.

If you look at the per event costs, our fees are lower than anyone else around, largely because we're a not for profit organization. If you signup for the full year, you're looking at $133 per day with roughly 2 hours of track time per event.
that is why i figured u guys would have no issues signing up. i used to suck it up and drive down to calgary in march just to sign up, so i woulda though with race city gone, there'd be a lineup to run at the last track in alberta that was already getting run 4 days a year for the series.

how many people are signed up though? normally u guys considered around 50 sign ups full, but only 20-25 ever showed up for stratotech to actually run it (although more paid that opted not to come i guess). 20-25 should make it financially feasable no? not increasing ur clubs coffers but should be breaking even?

also know that u'll likely get people to keep signing up if u take the gamble (sometimes u have to lose money for a bit to make money right?), figure out a easier way to collect money to attract people on the fence, and keep registration open. looking at how mike and matt's series is selling out means urs shouldn't be struggling
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Newb

We have so little interest, we won't be able to run a single weekend. We need enough to pay Stratotech. Are Mike and Matt's series for profit? Our prices are close to half that of other series. If we charged double, we could easily make do with only 20-25 people. As it stands, given our extremely low rates, we need closer to 40-50 to break even.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambystom01 View Post
We have so little interest, we won't be able to run a single weekend. We need enough to pay Stratotech. Are Mike and Matt's series for profit? Our prices are close to half that of other series. If we charged double, we could easily make do with only 20-25 people. As it stands, given our extremely low rates, we need closer to 40-50 to break even.
You have to consider Speedway's events are typically held during the evening of a weekday, hence the $100 per event price.

Understandably, your prices are more costly because you have primo time slots, but at the same time it looks like you also give a fairly similiar $$/time ratio. I'd much rather do a day on the weekend, but another thing is two days on a weekend is stretching it for anyone short of single males under the age of 25 with no SO lol.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

well matt or mike can comment on that, but i dont see them rolling up in anything better then a 20 year old truck or car since they started doing it 6 yaers ago, so i think they're 'for profit'. their events were always a bit cheaper then the cscc events as well i found. they charged $80 for evenings and i remember paying $120 for full day events with them that almost no one showed up to so i assume they took a bloodbath on that.

i think i once dropped in on a full day event at cscc and paid only 125, but i also remember paying 150+ for a full day. and it was $14xx for a full 12 or 14 event year if my memory serves that u were locked into, while mike/matts were priced slightly cheaper and u were able to drop in as u were able to if there was room. you also needed a cscc membership, and now i guess, a membership with some affiliate is ok, but mike/matt's events u dont need anything. so that's a factor in the cost as well too.

anyway, price was never a factor to me, i couldn't care less if it cost $80 for a evening or $100, although i'd prefer $80 . nor could i care if a full day was 120 or 140 or 130 or whatever. $20 isn't a deal breaker for me. plus, i found the cscc events great value, especially when u showed up to a evening practice and only 15 people bothered to show up when 50 paid for the track. i remember logging over 160km on race city in a evening in 2009 or 2010 with unlimited track time and that was amazing value. i tended to not drop into the timed events though because it was significantly less track time, and i wasn't too concerned with my official times or competing since it was bracket racing and i was driving 3 different cars so was already screwed for competiting . i honestly actually liked that we had to rotate marshalling as well prior to you getting volunteers to do it. ya, it lost time doing the switch over, but watching people drive from a marshall station was the best seat in the house.

as for those $$$ events, ya, besides being $$$, they're also usually run like complete gongshows.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Newb

Unfortunately weekdays don't work for most people or at least we had people complain when we had events on weekdays. We had lapping evenings on weekdays but we tried to keep our full day (9-4 or so) events to weekends.

The membership requirement is universal, I think. To take part in any of the other CSCC events, you need to be a member or pay more to get a temporary, one day membership. I'm guessing Matt and Mike were not WCMA affiliated? I don't know the reason for the requirement but it may be for insurance reasons. We cannot do drop ins for the most part; you have to be certified.

We haven't used brackets since 2010. 2011 was the first year of "real" classes and this is the system we use now. The switch to paid marshals was based on competitor feedback; we all got fed up waiting for up to an hour for marshals to be changed. We don't use paid marshals at Stratotech.

Ultimately, the concern is with the series as it is this year. Whomever takes over from me for next year, if there is a next year given that this year looks to be a complete failure, can try to implement some of the recommendations. Unfortunately, we are somewhat bound in terms of what we can and cannot do. We could do online registration, we could not do a free-for-all drop-in system.