Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Events & Meets

Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambystom01 View Post
Unfortunately weekdays don't work for most people or at least we had people complain when we had events on weekdays. We had lapping evenings on weekdays but we tried to keep our full day (9-4 or so) events to weekends.

The membership requirement is universal, I think. To take part in any of the other CSCC events, you need to be a member or pay more to get a temporary, one day membership. I'm guessing Matt and Mike were not WCMA affiliated? I don't know the reason for the requirement but it may be for insurance reasons. We cannot do drop ins for the most part; you have to be certified.

We haven't used brackets since 2010. 2011 was the first year of "real" classes and this is the system we use now. The switch to paid marshals was based on competitor feedback; we all got fed up waiting for up to an hour for marshals to be changed. We don't use paid marshals at Stratotech.

Ultimately, the concern is with the series as it is this year. Whomever takes over from me for next year, if there is a next year given that this year looks to be a complete failure, can try to implement some of the recommendations. Unfortunately, we are somewhat bound in terms of what we can and cannot do. We could do online registration, we could not do a free-for-all drop-in system.
Actually by WCMA Time Attack regulations you can offer temporary club memberships for as little as $1 an event if you so choose and thereby run the drop-in format. People do not require licenses by WCMA rules to lap.

You're getting good feedback here. Try to use as much of it as you can if you want to adapt and be successful. I'd love to see every motorsport event succeed.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Newb

Don't they need to be certified, ie. hold a WCMA solo license? We have had drop-ins in the past, but they've been people who competed the previous year.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Don't they need to be certified, ie. hold a WCMA solo license? We have had drop-ins in the past, but they've been people who competed the previous year.
No. They don't need a WCMA solo license to lap.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Newb

There's a difference between lapping and what we do though. I think for timed events, you need a license. I'll double check it.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Slow

Quote:
There's a difference between lapping and what we do though. I think for timed events, you need a license. I'll double check it.
Then we need to sit down with the antiquated ruleset at the next WCMA AGM and update it so that we can grow this sport rather than steer people away with horrible regulation.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Newb

That's been an ongoing concern for a long time now.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Newb

This will be the final bump. As it currently stands, we do not have enough competitors to even have a single weekend. If you are considering taking part this season, you have until next Wednesday (May 23rd) to either get your registration information to me or make it clear it is on its way. If more people do not sign up by then, the season will be cancelled.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Newb

OK the decision has been made; the series is cancelled.