Straightpipe Forums
Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Honestly, none of those are really that bad.

You have to stop thinking "street car" and think "race car" ... The RX7 is mostly cosmetic, even if the frame is damaged, it is a tube frame car. You just cut tubes out until you are back to undamaged car and start welding frame elements back in. In a tube car most of the elements are straight so it is much less fiddley.

Really, on a race car, all that matters is that the suspension pickup points are in the right place (relative to each other and the ground).

I am not saying it will be cheap, but it won't be as difficult or expensive as a street car.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 AM
Driver

Sadly the m3 is a tub car. The rx7 rear end took a huge hit and may it may not be broken. Both rear shocks are toast, the entire body is tore loose and broken up. Wheels, etc. fixable yes. Still a huge hit and a bunch of money to fix, not to mention all the man hours.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Newb

A lap of the Track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VU9I...XCK2K-AXHYRHlg
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Co-driver

Thanks for the video! did they move some of the walls, or does it just appear that way because there are fewer of them on full course?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Newb

Yes...The frame on the RX7 appears to be as straight as I can tell by eyeball. Some of the tubes on the back corner look bent...so I will have to cut and weld in some new tubing. Rear suspension is generally pooched, as is most body panels, and rear window. Front wheels aren't quite pointing in the same direction. Will have to pull the diff apart to see if any internals are damaged. The drive flange was sheared off on the drivers side and the end of the axle slapped the wall. Even though the frame looks pretty good by a quick look, it will likely find it's way to a frame shop just to check before bolting everything back onto it

But because the car does have allot of oval parts, the cost to repair will be less than the M3. I believe the M3 can be repaired quicker than the RX7, but I could be wrong on this. Looks like I have some time in the garage ahead of me.

In the ole game of concrete-steel-fibreglass...Why does concrete always win? Why is that?

Pistons?? I Don't Need NO Stinkin' Pistons!

Last edited by Al36rx7; 08-27-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Co-driver

I have a bunch of 1.5 inch DOM in .095 or .12 wall if you need a bit for your repairs. I got it for about 1/2 of metal supermarket prices.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 AM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikRSS View Post
oh my god I need one of these :|
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al36rx7 View Post
Yes...The frame on the RX7 appears to be as straight as I can tell by eyeball. Some of the tubes on the back corner look bent...so I will have to cut and weld in some new tubing. Rear suspension is generally pooched, as is most body panels, and rear window. Front wheels aren't quite pointing in the same direction. Will have to pull the diff apart to see if any internals are damaged. The drive flange was sheared off on the drivers side and the end of the axle slapped the wall. Even though the frame looks pretty good by a quick look, it will likely find it's way to a frame shop just to check before bolting everything back onto it

But because the car does have allot of oval parts, the cost to repair will be less than the M3. I believe the M3 can be repaired quicker than the RX7, but I could be wrong on this. Looks like I have some time in the garage ahead of me.

In the ole game of concrete-steel-fibreglass...Why does concrete always win? Why is that?
unless he's got a really good source of spare E30 M3 Body panels available, it's probably safe to say that there will be a few weeks of waiting to even get started on the body.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Newb

Yes...As far as the body goes, I am fortunate all I have to do is build new body panels or go buy a new body and in short..bolt it on. The BMW is going to need some pricey bits, and being a tub car, the repairs are going to take more resources. Likely both cars will need a trip to the frame shop. The Miata is going to require some effort as well to be back on the track.

The BMW will likely cost 2 or 3 times what it is going to take to get my car back at the track. And I feel my car is going to be in the range of 6k to 7k depending on what I find with the rear diff (quick change) and suspension after replacing the body.

All that matters is everyone walked away with only some minor aches and stiffness.

Pistons?? I Don't Need NO Stinkin' Pistons!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al36rx7 View Post
All that matters is everyone walked away with only some minor aches and stiffness.
Agreed ...

When I ran the GT1 car I was always surprised by how cheap the stockcar sourced stuff ended up being ... And how well engineered it was in terms of "I broke this, but the damage didn't transfer through to that". That said, a compete Speedway mini stock rear end is not that pricey. When Hima hit the wall in Vancouver(Indy) with Bruce's 300, we were able to fix the chassis and suspension in the paddock. Gotta love tube cars.

As for the M3, I suspect that there is more in common with the E30 325/318 than BMW let's on. Strut towers, frame rails ... Basic structure stuff ... Is probably identical. Cross member may be different, but is 1) easier to repair/partially refabricate; and 2) maybe only different in the motor mounts (quite easy to modify/ refab); or 3) are completely different because BMW are a bunch of dicks ... Fancy struts on the other hand could be pricey 500 to 1000 a corner would be pretty cheap for Ohlins or Penske ... Moton, even the club sports, will not be so cheap.

Best of luck for a speedy and fiscally reasonable recovery to everyone's cars.