Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Your Build

Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kruzn View Post
Always love Kris's write ups. And his use of creative ways to describe nice race parts and have them
Sound like junk.
lol, well it is a hell of a lot better than it was... but anyone with more than a few events under their belt is skilled in the art of trash talking the car they're driving no matter how good it is. It's almost a requirement I think all the way up to F1 lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z38qfEdlaO4

porting, LSD, and aero are potentially realistic goals this summer. I've been reading up on how to make aero functional thx to nascar writeups; doesn't seem too hard.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Curious what difference a set of slicks would make in terms of times...
Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

I'm pro at benchracing.

Unfortunately most slicks that come in FC ideal diameters are the hardest slick possible or are too wide to cram under it's fenders because they're made for real race cars. Honda guys sure have it easy with slicks; just run open wheel front tires and you're good to go with anything you want.

Yokohama makes a soft slick in a FC size though...... and i'd say that would fly. i'd ballpark seconds shaved off with those things. I'm always loath to advertise my advantage but castrol is a track that is all about cornering speed; those who maximize the corner and take a fast line, and keep the car on the limit have a huge advantage more so than you're average track. More so than even a track like stratotech. Why this is is because at castrol every straight starts from a very complex corner or series of corners that rob poor handling cars of their exit speed, without enough track on the straight to gain significantly by power alone. Stratotech was actually more about power being an advantage, because every straight started from a corner that was a simple corner where a shitty car vs a fast car in the corners was only talking a few km difference in speed. Castrol some corners are easily being measured in double digits between cars.

The result is with absolutely no power, my passing zones are actually still at the start of these straights. Infact, i'd say one of the 2 spots I get most of my passing done is exiting the chicane onto the main straight. Many a time I've had to drive on the dirt on the right hand side of the track there to avoid a car exiting the chicane double digit kph slower than me.

So I'd expect:
-soft slicks to drop 1.5-2 seconds. (the FC with shitty tires and shitty handling has gone as slow as 140ish with me driving it, so that doesn't seem like a big stretch for how much better soft slicks should be)
-I know an LSD would drop .5-1 second.
-i'd expect suspension tuning of this suspension to drop 0.5+ seconds
-live on the fly telemetry showing real time gains/losses to drop 1+ seconds (I bet driving better i really have more like 2 seconds in this car as is, but i'll never drive perfect so probably 1 sec is more realistic. I actually have no clue what laps I am fastest so I have no clue what line i've used to run my fastest times, I swear I can flat or at least not brake for corner 1, and I know I'm fucking up every corner a bit, but i'm unsure how. it's almost guaranteed i'm losing 0.3-0.5 seconds just in corner 6 alone because I never feel i come close to nailing the line there)

So low 129s high 128s possible with just a LSD. 126.999s with that and slicks. 1:25.999s with telemetry and tweaking this car. That requiring the same track conditions as sept, which imo were almost perfect. hot tarmac, cool breezy air. And I know 125s sounds retarded, but usually my hardcore bench racing is pretty accurate. I calculated the sept 2015 version of the FC was just going to be good enough to beat dom's track record, and it was, barely.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Man, I love your benchracing.

Go for it.

I'm buying the beers when you break into the 125s.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Driver

Agreed with Matt. Never to downplay the awesomeness of bench racing but I have come to believe that there is not nearly as much improvement from hankook z71 compound to full slicks as one might think. I would drop the bench mark down to less than 0.5 seconds per lap for the slicks. The slick will likly have a nicer feel and more consistent which will improve on the race finishes. But I don't think it will have the huge 1.5-2 seconds of years gone by. I also believe you are underestimating your new and improved susp set up. I don't think you have .5 seconds improvement there. The diff however will
Be a massive improvement as we could hear your inside tire spinning from
Consession...

Last edited by 4kruzn; 02-19-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kruzn View Post
Agreed with Matt. Never to downplay the awesomeness of bench racing but I have come to believe that there is not nearly as much improvement from hankook z71 compound to full slicks as one might think. I would drop the bench mark down to less than 0.5 seconds per lap for the slicks. The slick will likly have a nicer feel and more consistent which will improve on the race finishes. But I don't think it will have the huge 1.5-2 seconds of years gone by. I also believe you are underestimating your new and improved susp set up. I don't think you have .5 seconds improvement there. The diff however will
Be a massive improvement as we could hear your inside tire spinning from
Consession...
I agree ... The grip difference from DOT to slick is not as much as it once was. This is partially due to diminishing returns and partially due to slowed development in the sizes we are talking about. More money is spent on DOTs because that is where the market/marketability is. The biggest improvement will come from the reduction of rotating mass. The car will accelerate, stop and turn better due to iniertial and gyroscopic effects.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Ya, hard slicks are pretty comparable to a7s and z214 c71s (they're usually worse for several laps too it seems depending on the brand), but i've been looking up comparisons between the different compounds of slicks, and the soft ones do have big gains. just take hte difference between a r35 and r45 hoosier, which are both medium compounds. you should expect about a 0.5 second difference on a 1:40 second track. hoosier has a couple compounds softer, and a couple compounds harder than those too.

What everyone in a closed wheel car buys is hards pretty much, because for 99% of the sizes and manufacturers, that's all that is made for our cars. Hoosier only makes their hardest compound unless you drive a civic, and only because the civic can fit some open wheel front tires. There are a couple soft compounds that would work for the FC (one is yokohama's 2nd softest compound that they only make in one size for closed wheel cars that happens to fit the fc) and with a tire like that, I do think there would be a 1.5-2 second difference... the problem is that's 2g for a set of tires that will last an hour or less most likely.

At that point logically that money would be better spent on the engine. It is very tempted to see how fast a stock engined FC can go though by handling alone.

The biggest argument for how much time is left in the suspension is because I had a hand in it. I know it is about 400x better than the LA1k, but it is still unlikely it was setup perfect by random chance. My brain and butt dyno do not communicate very well. By a few laps in my brain has adapted/stopped listening to my ass, and thinks the car is normal no matter how wonky it felt on lap 1. Adjusting that wing was the first time i've changed a setting in-between racing seasons, let alone in-between races. That includes mucking with tire pressures, which i've never done. Oem and forget about them has been my motto there.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

CF data doesn't tell the whole story. It is the accessibility of that traction. If you envision it like average horsepower the picture may become clearer. A tire with a V shaped traction curve is going to be much harder to use at the limit all the time than one with a U shaped curve (obviously, invert the graph from typical). A VERY talented pro driver can find, and maintain, grip through that very narrow band but an amatuer driver may not be sensitive enough to. The result is that the amatuer may end up operating at a lower mean grip level and, in fact, be slower on a tire that should be faster. My experience is that often the change from DOT to slicks was enough to baffle some drivers and at best they would not go any faster ... And this was at a time when the potential difference was much greater than it is today.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:26 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

The other problem is softs are usually bias-ply and thus alignments need to be much more bang on to utilize them fully as well.

But it would be an interesting experiment to find out. I have driven on slicks before, and I'd bet money I'd be happy enough racing on them.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:46 AM
Newb

Slicks...Use a 15" slick. Hoosier radial...245-580-15. I tried an old set on the Bandit during practice. The improvement in gearing was very nice

Pistons?? I Don't Need NO Stinkin' Pistons!