Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Race / Track talk

Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Newb

Default Badlands Motorsports Resort: First reading of re-zoning application approved.

Motorsports Enthusiasts:

After many years of development, we are pleased to announce that the first reading of our re-zoning application in Kneehill County to obtain a Direct Control District to develop a comprehensive Motorsports Facility, was approved almost unanimously (6:1) by council on March 12th, 2013.

The re-zoning application is to approve the development of a 4.4-mile multi-configuration Road Course, Paddock, Commercial Development, Non-motorsport Recreational Development, and Residential Development.

This is a significant step towards a World-Class Motorsports facility becoming a reality in Southern Alberta; a facility which is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of motorsports enthusiasts throughout Western Canada.

As many of you already know, this project has been in development since 2005. The process has taken longer than expected, but all issues have now been resolved.

We still have to go through a second reading (Public Hearing), which is scheduled for June 11th, 2013. However, based on information provided to us by the Development Office of the Kneehill County, we are confident that all of the concerns raised by the area citizens have been addressed and we are very optimistic that we will obtain the final approvals in June 2013.

Construction could start as soon as the Spring of 2014, with the track opening in 2015.
We have thoroughly updated the FAQ section of our website to reflect the recent developments and we have included much more detailed information about the project, the planned amenities, and the operation of the Road Course.

Please visit www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/faq.php for more information and for answers to many questions including:

Q: Why has no information been released about the project since 2009?
Q: Are there any Investment opportunities available?
Q: What are the phases of Development?
Q: When will construction commence and what is the proposed opening date?
Q: I have heard of another proposed Motorsports Development in Southern Alberta, is this the same one?
Q: How is this development different from any other proposed development in Alberta?
Q: Where is the development located?
Q: Do the principles of this development have any Motorsports experience?
Q: How much will memberships cost?
Q: Will there be financing options for memberships?
Q: How many members will the facility be able to accommodate?
Q: Will members be able to sell or transfer their Membership?
Q: What will I receive for my membership?
Q: Will there be a Kart track?
Q: Will the facility be open for driving events all year round?
Q: Given the climate in Alberta, How will it be possible for the Road Course to be open all year?
Q: What activities will take place on the Road Courses and Skid-pad?
Q: Will the Road Courses and Skid-pad be available to rent to non-members?
Q: Will there be a facility available for low-speed driver training and autocross events?
Q: Will there be Time Attack (Solo Sprint) at the Club?
Q: Will there be Wheel to wheel Competition events on the Road Courses?
Q: Will there be a drag strip or drag racing?
Q: When will you start accepting deposits for memberships, garages, and residential condos?
…And many more.

Please feel free to share this information with your fellow motorsports enthusiasts and club members.

Sincerely,

Jay Zelazo
President and CEO,
Badlands Recreational Development Corp.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Newb

Your e-mail address at the end of the faqs didn't work for me.

" The following message to <members@badlandsmotorsportsresort.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)\r' "

I wanted to be put on the mailing list.
Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Newb

JZ@BMR
Thanks for the quick response via e-mail.

Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Newb

YES!!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Glad to hear it!

What are the remaining approval hurdles? How many more readings, etc?

How about community approval?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Newb

The second reading is in June and that is where the public can attend and present information either for or against. We have many interest groups that will be attending to advise of the benefits.

We are well aware of all the opposition that some locals have expressed to the county, but the county has made it clear that opposition needs to be substantiated with facts, not opinions. A farmer who has cows 7 miles away and thinks the noise may affect them is not a substantial argument that holds any weight at all.

Based on all our communications with the county, no group has presented them with any significant opposition. Emotional fears of noise, traffic, etc. need to be backed up with evidence that outweigh the benefits.

After that hearing in June, the county will grant the final decision 2 weeks later.

Given that right now we have almost unanimous support of the council in the region, the chances of this getting passed in June are quite high. But nothing is absolute until it is done.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 AM
E is for EMPTY!

Awesome! Good luck with the next hearing. I've been excited about Badlands for many, many years and had given up hope a few years back when it all seemed to disappear.

Why, all the sudden, is the proposal back up and running now? Yes, I know there has probably been lots going on out of the public eye for the past few years, but I'm just curious what the delays were?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Co-driver

Excellent news, Jay! Thanks for the update and the persistence from you and your partners pursuing this.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedragon View Post
Awesome! Good luck with the next hearing. I've been excited about Badlands for many, many years and had given up hope a few years back when it all seemed to disappear.

Why, all the sudden, is the proposal back up and running now? Yes, I know there has probably been lots going on out of the public eye for the past few years, but I'm just curious what the delays were?
The FAQ's on the website actually explain this ... They are not making it so you need an x-ray machine to know what it going on.

Good job guys!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
P1

Send a message via MSN to Var!able

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ@BMR View Post
The second reading is in June and that is where the public can attend and present information either for or against. We have many interest groups that will be attending to advise of the benefits.

We are well aware of all the opposition that some locals have expressed to the county, but the county has made it clear that opposition needs to be substantiated with facts, not opinions. A farmer who has cows 7 miles away and thinks the noise may affect them is not a substantial argument that holds any weight at all.

Based on all our communications with the county, no group has presented them with any significant opposition. Emotional fears of noise, traffic, etc. need to be backed up with evidence that outweigh the benefits.

After that hearing in June, the county will grant the final decision 2 weeks later.

Given that right now we have almost unanimous support of the council in the region, the chances of this getting passed in June are quite high. But nothing is absolute until it is done.
Would you be interested in having someone from the sports car club attend the meeting ? I would recommend joining the NASCC facebook group and talking about this a little there.

So Much Win Racing: Fabrication, Preparation, Awesome

Contact Me at 780.270.1851 via phone or txt message for your race fab needs.