Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Tech Section

Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Driver

Default Fire Suppression Systems... What is everyone getting?

With fire suppression systems being required for 2015, I half expected some sort of group buy to pop up on here at some point but that doesn't seem to be happening. What have people picked up? It doesn't seem like a lot of guys had these kicking around before the rules got changed so there must be a lot of new ones coming in.

I know that Rallysport sells one for about 600 but that price seems a bit high.
http://www.rallysport.ca/safety/fire_systems.htm

Have most guys brought them in from the US? That's what I was considering doing as I was looking at doing a run to the US for tires (and some other parts for the finaces street car). I would grab an AFFF system over a Halon... but that's just me thinking I know what I'm talking about when I probably don't.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Co-driver

I bought mine from the chump car guys. Its on the chump forum. They couldnt ship to Canada at the time but I had someone bring me back two systems that was in the US. I think $350 each.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Driver

I will be needing three this summer. I think a fee phone calls with Shawn and a group
Buy might be smart. Should happen soon or he won't have time to set it up.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Pit crew

highly recommended not mandatory was the last draft i saw, was there an update
Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavery View Post
highly recommended not mandatory was the last draft i saw, was there an update
They have been talking about it being mandatory since the beginning of last year. Try also talked about it at the AGM, along with a couple other updates for 2015, for about 2 minutes. I am sure I saw a memo on the WCMA website (not the forum, though probably there also) to regarding this an another couple other small things.

I think that the NASA rules discussion overshadowed the relatively minor updates and clarifications for 2015.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Pit crew

i did see a tech bulletin come out after the agm with regards to fire suppression system came by email and damn if i can find it
Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Yeah ... It was one of those 'gentle reminder' type of things...
Old 01-03-2015, 03:53 AM
Driver

Almost positive that the "MANDITORY" part was meant to take over from the "highly recommend" as of 2015. Would be nice to get a confirmation from WCMA on this though.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:07 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Top of the Road Race forum on the WCMA forum .... Haven't read it yet:

WCMA Technical Bulletin -12162014

Pursuant to the discussion at the 2013 WCMA AGM regarding Appendix 2 section 4 of the WCMA Technical regulations “Onboard fire suppression Systems”, where members in attendance were largely in favor of requiring onboard fire suppression Systems for the 2015 season.

The WCMA Technical Committee, has reviewed other Sanctioning body’s regulations (CASC-ON, CACC, SCCA, NASA and Chumpcar), which found that the majority do not require fire systems for all classes. Based on this and the change in classing for the 2016 season WCMA will be highly recommending fire systems for 2015 season and beyond season with the intend to reopen the discussion on whether to mandate fire systems in the future seasons at the 2015 AGM.

To facilitate this change the WCMA Technical Regulations will be update as follows:
Appendix 2 - Competitor safety equipment - section 4 - Onboard fire suppression systems will be replaced in its entirety with:

It is highly recommended that a self-contained push-button or pull-handle fire system be installed with all lines routed through the car with a single actuator to engage in case of emergency.

Minimum requirements
• Five (5) pound or 2 liter bottle Capacity
• Minimum two (2) nozzles (one (1) in cockpit and one (1) in engine bay
• Appropriate nozzles shall be used (ie atomizing for AFFF)
• Manual or auto release.
• AFFF internally pressurized system bottles should use a working pressure gauge
• The activation point for the system should be identify by a circle “E” decal on the outside of the vehicle on the entry point nearest the activation point.

AFFF,FE-36, NOVEC 1230 or similar systems safe for the occupants of enclosure space are recommended. Halon 1301, 1211, or Halotron I, hexafluoropropane, HFC-236a, CC0610 and other agents used in SFI or FIA certified systems are acceptable. Remember extinguishing systems which are primarily based on inert gases presents a risk of suffocation when used in enclosed spaces.

If an electric solenoid or switch is used to activate the system, it must not lose power when the electrical master (Kill) switch or vehicle ignition switch is turned off.

It is high recommend that the manufactures requirements for re-certification / inspection / expiration dates are followed. Since there is a variance between systems and manufacturers it will be the sole responsibility of the entry and/or competitor to ensure these obligations and requirements are met or exceeded.

WCMA Technical Committee
Old 01-03-2015, 04:08 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Soooo .... I get 'recommended' out of that ... Looks like it is related to the classing changes.

I guess I will be burning as the Cathlolic canon tells us that all sinners will do.

Last edited by jcm0791; 01-03-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Humor added