Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm0791 View Post
Not sure if really more or less ... Everything tends to be less ... Lower speed, less traction means everything is less severe, less violent.
Bolts. Hit in the door at a dead standstill on the racing line after the car died and wouldn't re-fire by a guy that had 30 ft or so to try to slow down. I'd bet Mike hit me at ~80KM/H in the drivers side door, then Colin glanced off him and me again at a similar rate of speed. It was a big impact, but certainly far, far less severe than it would have been if the car had been parked on the racing line on pavement with sticky tires.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:57 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Bolts. Hit in the door at a dead standstill on the racing line after the car died and wouldn't re-fire by a guy that had 30 ft or so to try to slow down. I'd bet Mike hit me at ~80KM/H in the drivers side door, then Colin glanced off him and me again at a similar rate of speed. It was a big impact, but certainly far, far less severe than it would have been if the car had been parked on the racing line on pavement with sticky tires.
Yes that is what I meant, impacts tend to be like curling rocks ... And everything around tends to be softer. When I rolled my car at 160kmph it didn't tumble. The bank launched it, and it overturned, but it just slid on its roof.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
If I wasn't scared shitless of getting hit like Matt did a few years ago I'd totally run my other Miata on ice. Maybe its just a stigma that ice racers endure more contact than a road race car though?
I think there's generally more (mostly unavoidable) contact in ice racing. The visibility is bad, the surface rough and rutted, sometimes just keeping the car in a straight line is a challenge.

The biggest difference is the snow/ice banking. Most easy offs require extraction by tow vehicle, often with minor fender/bumper damage, and rollovers seem to occur at least once on most weekends.

I also think that moving to a spec tire and perhaps split rwd/fwd groups would be the way to go. A spec car is not necessary.

Tags
chevette, nascc