Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Newb

Well one thing we currently face is a Family of 4 coming to the track to watch a race is $20/person so that pretty much shoots down any chance of attendance from people other than our families. And at the $20/person price tag I kind of want the family to stay home as that can now pay my gas bill for the race weekend.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikRSS View Post
Well one thing we currently face is a Family of 4 coming to the track to watch a race is $20/person so that pretty much shoots down any chance of attendance from people other than our families. And at the $20/person price tag I kind of want the family to stay home as that can now pay my gas bill for the race weekend.
The biggest problem I had trying to come out and watch last year was that no one at Castrol knew what the hell I was there for - Road racing? "You mean world of outlaws right?" IMO Castrol and NASCC need to talk and get some proper organization/promotion around race weekends, without that I agree that $20/person is too much based on what I saw last year.
'07 RX-8 - SOON
'91 RX-7 Vert - Current DD

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (Bandit FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (Bandit FC, PTC Edition)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Newb

wifi gopro at each significant corner. laptop with some real-time mixing software and a wireless network. some form of internet connection. two commentators and a guy to mix the video real-time. podcast.

same system could be repurposed for lapping days so that you don't need man each corner - you can observe from one central location (perhaps with some remotely-operated red/yellow/green lights at strategic locations).
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
wifi gopro at each significant corner. laptop with some real-time mixing software and a wireless network. some form of internet connection. two commentators and a guy to mix the video real-time. podcast.

same system could be repurposed for lapping days so that you don't need man each corner - you can observe from one central location (perhaps with some remotely-operated red/yellow/green lights at strategic locations).
Apparently Castrol has wifi in or around the drag tower. Maybe its something we could extend. Most of the track is line of sight with exception of the tall trees on the left/right fast sweeper. Otherwise, we'd have to swing a deal for mucho cellular data through a carrier.

Its more work but its possible to use car batteries dropped at various locations around the track to power the cameras and wi-fi repeaters/equipment.

Cheap but good will be key, especially the cheap part.

There's also this idea for broadcasting an event: "http://www.sportscanada.tv/index.php...ast-your-sport
1999 Spec Miata #98

28 Spec Miatas & Growing!

Last edited by GTcalgary; 02-24-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Newb

anyone running a wifi gopro could also be in the mix, so that commentators could cut to car cams as required.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Co-driver

We need to assemble a team to start testing how well the live coverage thing can work. The first few events can be practice in preparation for the la1k. Racers are likely too busy to run it during events so we'll need non-racer tech volunteers to help out for fun. I know there is a lot of knowledge about this kind of thing within our race community so help/suggestions/volunteers would be appreciated. I've done some homework on this idea over the past year or so to try to affordably send a decent quality live feed from car to race trailer. Currently the sporting regs don't allow anything except radio communication but the regs spirit was to discourage live telemetry as an advantage vs for entertainment value. 5 years ago the technology was much different too.
1999 Spec Miata #98

Old 02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Newb

Going to want to add in a drone/quad copter for the great overhead shots.

just like the guys out at mission did.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Newb

I've got a friend who's deep into the diy quad copter scene that could get that done easy. he's an IT geek too, so could come up with a diy/inexpensive solution/price for the overall system - how many corners would you want to cover, and what would be the greatest distance between any two points?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
I've got a friend who's deep into the diy quad copter scene that could get that done easy. he's an IT geek too, so could come up with a diy/inexpensive solution/price for the overall system - how many corners would you want to cover, and what would be the greatest distance between any two points?
Sounds great.
1) Speedway (banked) corner exit (facing traffic)
2) Lefthand high-speed sweeper (following traffic)
3) Finish Line (facing traffic)
4) Coptercam (never above racing surface/at safe distance away) More like a remote controlled crane-cam. Probably just up/down/pivot.
5) In-car feeds

Should be a good enough start. Can always add more as it gets perfected.

There is a scale pdf map of Castrol on their website: http://www.castrolraceway.com/index....pages&p_id=123
1999 Spec Miata #98

Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Newb

well, i'll see what I can sort out regarding proof of concept and potential costs. thinking three cheap made in china cameras tied to cheap made in china wifi radios with cheap made in china battery packs. stuffed in pelican cases and zip-tied to stakes so that they can be stuck anywhere and last the day on batteries. cheap dlink router with sufficient range and channels, laptop with freeware real-time video software. a microphone or two. bell sponsor providing usb cellular modem. third-parties provide 'copter cam and in-car video.