Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 03-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Newb

Exclamation Important NASCC Meeting!!!

To all racers and interested colleagues.

The 2016 Ice Race season is a wrap. Time to reflect on the changes we are facing to our beloved pastime. To state the obvious we have some challenges to deal with created by low car counts and the declining interest in bolted tire racing. We all hope the Black Rocket experiment works out.
I encourage you all to attend the March 18th NASCC meeting and contribute to the discussion on the following topics.

1. Use of 3.5mm max street studs in the Hankook I-Pike spec tires for CH Spec Class: The idea here is to have a little traction for safety and quality of racing when there are few studded cars and the ice become polished.

2. Rule changes to allow rebuilds with available parts for CH Spec Class: It is no longer possible to buy a salvage chevette engine that is good enough to race. Yes there are notable exceptions but for the general case new racers coming into the sport are going to have trouble finding parts. I am aware of 7 engines getting rebuilt this summer so the time to deal with this is now.

3. More accommodation for spectators at NASCC races: A small spectator parking area and some kind of bleacher would improve our image to the public. Those fans then become volunteers and racers.

4. Efforts to improve car counts at NASCC races: I heard that some of the winter rallycross events brought out 50+ cars. WOW! There is the base of future drivers/car owners to improve our car counts. I think we need to find a way to put door to door racing in front of that group.

Thank you to all volunteers and racers for a great season!

Todd Maliteare
CH Class Rep
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Newb

Exclamation

We had a very good discussion with unanimous interest in 3.5mm studs in the hankooks and opening up engine mod rules in the interest of getting rebuilds done this year. I will put together a final vote on the chevettesonice website in a few weeks with details on the studs and modifications. Looks like next season will be very exciting with some new twists in the chevette class.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:18 PM
P1

Send a message via MSN to Var!able

While I understand that the chevette group is a large part of the ice racing community. Has the club tried to take a more serious look at moving to a different car.. It has been 28 years since the last chevettes were built. That seriously limits any expansion of the class.

Has spec neon continued ? I personally have not been in a club meeting for years now and I didn't follow anything that happened at all.

So Much Win Racing: Fabrication, Preparation, Awesome

Contact Me at 780.270.1851 via phone or txt message for your race fab needs.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Newb

Different cars were discussed extensively. Neons are still a good choice but even they are getting harder to find. Mostly due to the incentives to crush cars for scrap. Make/Model spec classing is not likely a good bet for the future. In the future an engine displacement or HP grouped front wheel drive class is the only practical option. This is due to civics, focus's (foci), etc.. being the only cheap available options. We discussed purpose built tube chassis cars that have some following at other Ice Racing clubs but that option would be $10,000+ and is not appealing to our group. For rear wheel drive, mustangs up to 2009 might work. Maybe a V6 and a V8 class.

That said I have a chevette to sell you if you want to go racing.

What cars do you suggest would be practical for the future? Would you build one and bring it out?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

I always believed more in agreeing on a spec tire that changes semi-annually rather than any sort of spec series. Decide on a spec tire and size for rubber to ice, there is only so much traction available vs the contact patch.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:45 PM
P1

Send a message via MSN to Var!able

I agree completely with what Matt is saying. In all honesty limiting traction, by using a set tire size is a great way of creating a even playing field. Personally I think you would be better off with a set tire size, and them a limit on displacement and forced induction.

This is the way I would set the rules up. This is a very rough starting point.

2.5L and below
No forced induction of any kind
Engine modification is limited to bolt on parts.
No AWD

Tires are limited to a spec brand and type, likely something like 185 that is 26" tall. This allows people to run different rim sizes if required for their car.

So hopefully what you would end up with is a mix of cheap small cars. stuff that is easy to find in junk yards and keeps the cost of the class as low as possible.

So Much Win Racing: Fabrication, Preparation, Awesome

Contact Me at 780.270.1851 via phone or txt message for your race fab needs.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

This is not a bad plan ... It jives closely with the proposed rules for RallyCross ... Another class that will benefit from limited tires limiting useable HP.

When I was ice racing, it was at a time when we were between Speedway (EIS) closing and RaceCity opening. It was quite a heyday ... Imagine 30+ Rubber cars, 30+ limited stud cars, and at least 20 Unlimited stud cars ... Not including cars running multiple classes. When Race City opened, numbers dropped in half within a couple years.

I don't know if it is the answer, but it may attract some cross pollination if cars have year round use. Maybe...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm0791 View Post
This is not a bad plan ... It jives closely with the proposed rules for RallyCross ... Another class that will benefit from limited tires limiting useable HP.

When I was ice racing, it was at a time when we were between Speedway (EIS) closing and RaceCity opening. It was quite a heyday ... Imagine 30+ Rubber cars, 30+ limited stud cars, and at least 20 Unlimited stud cars ... Not including cars running multiple classes. When Race City opened, numbers dropped in half within a couple years.

I don't know if it is the answer, but it may attract some cross pollination if cars have year round use. Maybe...
If I wasn't scared shitless of getting hit like Matt did a few years ago I'd totally run my other Miata on ice. Maybe its just a stigma that ice racers endure more contact than a road race car though?

Dean

Old 03-25-2015, 01:10 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Not sure if really more or less ... Everything tends to be less ... Lower speed, less traction means everything is less severe, less violent.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:44 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStar Racing View Post
If I wasn't scared shitless of getting hit like Matt did a few years ago I'd totally run my other Miata on ice. Maybe its just a stigma that ice racers endure more contact than a road race car though?

Dean
To be fair, that was entirely my / our fault. It was the car that failed and I only got hit because of it. Large impacts are not common place when one drives sufficiently defensively, that was one of those oh shit moments and the cage / car did it's job perfectly.

Tags
chevette, nascc