Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Straightpipe > Events & Meets

Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormojo View Post
[i]
(Also, [tangent alert!] how exactly does one become a "pro" bobsledder? How do you even find out if you are any good at it? Ride a toboggan behind a skidoo? I've looked and there are no used bobseighs on kijiji.)
I got an email once through the Calgary Karting club to come out and try bobsledding at COP. I never did go because I lived up here. I can tell you that push starting a shifter kart solo is about the closest thing I can imagine to bobsledding. Gear up, push the kart to a sprint pace, jump in and start driving.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
^ Bleh... Racing is truly a rich mans game. I'll see how the season runs for me but to be honest I don't think i'll be doing much road racing in the future and i'm already thinking that i'll sell my car and move on to something else. I expected this all to cost a few bucks for sure but not all of us are wealthy enough to continue a habit like this.
Greg. I probably have a set of RA1's you can use up for dry. Also we will have access to some tire discounts through Gee and Gee racing shortly. There might be some other ways I can can help you get out there and race. I back in 2 weeks but PM me and we'll talk. Gerard
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Pit crew

Also for tires, check out the Toyo Motorsports team. If you sign up (totally free) you will get a discount card that is worth up to 40% off of certain sizes and types of competition tires.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
^ Bleh... Racing is truly a rich mans game. I'll see how the season runs for me but to be honest I don't think i'll be doing much road racing in the future and i'm already thinking that i'll sell my car and move on to something else. I expected this all to cost a few bucks for sure but not all of us are wealthy enough to continue a habit like this.
yes! build ur spec miata and tehn quit, i'll buy it for $3000!!!
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 AM
P1

Send a message via MSN to Var!able

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Rich man's game? You take a school once in your whole life. Medical you need every year along with membership and license renewal.
I thought the medical was only once every 5 years or something unless your super old.

So Much Win Racing: Fabrication, Preparation, Awesome

Contact Me at 780.270.1851 via phone or txt message for your race fab needs.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Pit crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var!able View Post
I thought the medical was only once every 5 years or something unless your super old.
Every two years for the over 50 crowd. (me)
Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Newb

GregC tires

Here is how I did tires my first season. And every year after that.
First year buy 2 sets of your tire of choice something in your budget that wears and lasts the longest if your cheap. Bag up one set these are your rains. ONLY use them for rain REAL HARD RAIN.
The other set take care of them, baby them constantly taking temps adjusting pressure. Flip them on the rims in between race weekends.
Now your down to the race weekend in august, your set of tires is pretty toast sliding a lot, get thru Saturday maybe destroy them in an endurance race. Sunday morning break out the rains, these are your new babies, treat them like your first born cause they are all you have now.
Use them for September and store them for the winter properly bagged inside tucked in for hibernation. These are your new first half of season tires.
Second season Hey I only need to buy one set. And I probably kept one or two for emergency from the very first set for emergency.

This has served me well. Initial purchase was hard to swallow first year of racing, but every season after I have only bought one set. This of course all depends on car setup driver track etc....
Having a specific rain only tire that lives on the trailer is a cost you don't need in your first year of racing buy what you are going to use for every condition and just keep a set of full treads handy if needed. Or intermediates for that matter.

Note: also I usually make the wrong tire choice when it is threatening to rain. Mostly cause I am SAVING the rains for next years use.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 AM
Pit crew

hey guys where are you getting your medicals done and how much,

last one i got done for free lucked out, he was suppose to charge me $110 but i ask my doctor now and they want $220

any recomendations
Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Pit crew

Do aviation medicals count? If so they are usually a lot cheaper than that. Just tell them that you are interested in getting your private pilots license and you want a class 3. Should be around $100 depending on where you go. It has to be a special doctor (Civil Aviation Medical Examiner), list is in Transport Canada's website. Each clinic is free to charge what they want, and TC usually sends you a surprise invoice in the mail later for about $50 for processing, but call around for pricing and you should find something affordable.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Do aviation medicals count? If so they are usually a lot cheaper than that. Just tell them that you are interested in getting your private pilots license and you want a class 3. Should be around $100 depending on where you go. It has to be a special doctor (Civil Aviation Medical Examiner), list is in Transport Canada's website. Each clinic is free to charge what they want, and TC usually sends you a surprise invoice in the mail later for about $50 for processing, but call around for pricing and you should find something affordable.
They have to fill out a form that the WCMA provides.