Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
I gotta go back and read the last page but I am concerned about the caliber of student I may get. . One of those initial d Groat road guys that know it all. .. Josh.

Honestly I just how I get a receptive student that really wants to learn. Which is very likely
Sue just Emailed out the tentative student/instructor assignment list...
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Everyone is aware that there is a one yabbo per car rule, right? If your student seems to be well adjusted then it is up to you to be a rectum of some sort.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

I'll snap some pictures tommorow during the school so I can fill up this thread (or start a new one ) with awesomeness. For now it's off to bed to get a decent start on the day.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Bloody Weather!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

spotted chris at the race school

Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Newb

Default Thanks

I was far too busy organizing the race school to check in and find this thread on the forum, so this note is way after the fact.
First, thanks to all of you who instructed. The student evaluations of their in car instructors were very, very positive. Most received straight 5's on all the feedback questions, the rest got a few 4's mixed with the 5's. Even Josh was happy with his in car instructor, though I am not sure Trent would be faster than Greg if they were both in a Miata, good as Trent is Greg has proved really fast in that Miata.
Second, reading through your comments most of you seem to have a pretty good handle on instructing. Kris captured the various elements well, especially the idea that the instructor must adapt to their student, and Matt is ever so correct in emphasizing that students can only take in so much at once. I do not agree with whoever it was that proposed that praise and positive feedback are over rated. We had one poor instructor-student pairing at the school that was brought to my attention, and we changed instructors. The instructor that went in used a lot of positive feedback to bring the student's confidence back up and salvage their experience. It worked.
Last year I tried to set up an instructor's school and was roundly shot at and put down, so I did not even consider it this year. However, they were run about every second or third year in Calgary, and it would be good to run one again here in the future. That said, the track costs a lot to rent for an evening, plus insurance etc, so even with 45 instructors in the school we would need about $150 an entrant as a fee just to break even. Last year I was informed by many that most instructors would not pay that, though they did pay about $100 in Calgary over the years.
Hopefully you did eventually read the material you received Chris, because the short titles in the schedule and the track exercise material did give you a basic way to stay in tune with what was being done in the classroom.
We are offering an instructor tune up session at the first race weekend on May 25, for those who instruct for the WCMA school and NASCC and are not racing that weekend. Instructors for the upcoming AADS school are invited to that as well, and I think the entry fee is $50.
instructor-lapping