Straightpipe Forums
Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 AM
Newb

Exclamation Chevettes on Ice

Chevette Racers,

I have updated the chevettesonice.ca website with the 2014 Supp Regs and CH class rules. I will post updates and info as available. If you have any suggestions or material to add to the site let me know at chevettesonice@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Todd

Last edited by FullofShift; 02-11-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 02-11-2014, 04:05 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

I still think Spec Miatas on ice would be awesome.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 AM
Newb

Be nice to see someone run one in rubber and see how it goes. Same debate for Spec E36 BMW or Spec SN95 Mustang. I agree one of the three should become a class in the next few years. As stated by the club exec build one and bring it out. Or lets get a really good discussion and show of interest that could result in draft class rules for a trial run. I'll even write the first draft and post them if there is interest.

Another thing to keep in mind is the new interest in the AWD class. I heard we could see a few cars run this year. Should be very interesting. Not really a low buck class like CH however.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullofShift View Post
Be nice to see someone run one in rubber and see how it goes. Same debate for Spec E36 BMW or Spec SN95 Mustang. I agree one of the three should become a class in the next few years. As stated by the club exec build one and bring it out. Or lets get a really good discussion and show of interest that could result in draft class rules for a trial run. I'll even write the first draft and post them if there is interest.

Another thing to keep in mind is the new interest in the AWD class. I heard we could see a few cars run this year. Should be very interesting. Not really a low buck class like CH however.
After driving my Miata on ice at a rallycross last season I feel it's definitely not as quick as it could be. I've also attended a rallycross on snow/mixed conditions and again not fast at all especially when leaving the corner.
Miata's without traction pretty much = toyota corolla with flat tires.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
After driving my Miata on ice at a rallycross last season I feel it's definitely not as quick as it could be. I've also attended a rallycross on snow/mixed conditions and again not fast at all especially when leaving the corner.
Miata's without traction pretty much = toyota corolla with flat tires.
I won the Fox Field Trials in mine by 2 seconds over second place who was 2 seconds clear of 3rd. And this was pre turbo ... I always felt that putting the power down was the car's strength.

Even with the turbo and an open diff the thing was fantastic in the winter.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

It handles okay on ice and actually feels twitchy when you have to catch it, It's a more difficult car to put sideways and my car I feel is very slow out of a corner (very old winter tires i'm sure is a valid reason).
I'd take it out on the ice again for rallycross but definitely don't think i'd be competitive in an ice race.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Newb

Default Miata's on ice?

A few years ago Scott Stretch and his brother came out ice racing on rubber with
two Spec Miatas the brother had brought up from Texas. They could not get out of the Chevettes in the rubber class. They were nearly last when running on a Spec Miata suspension. But they tracked down some stock suspension parts and swapped, and started running mid Chevette class.
So in Les or Landon's hands they might not be too bad, but not so special either.
I think if you ran one in limited stud, with a turbo, it might not be too bad, or in race stud with an over 200 hp turbo build it might be pretty awesome. Still stock suspension though, or coilover with near stock spring ratios.

Tags
chevette, ice racing