Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 05-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Too long....

Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I finally had time to read everything Kris wrote - some good advice in there. Everyone's learning style is different, and an assessment of where they're at would seem to me to be a necessary baseline to establish. Personally, I have found it difficult to drive how I normally drive with someone sitting in the passenger seat yelling at me - much easier when we can have a conversation outside of the car with helmets off.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a coordinated effort to get all instructors onto the same wavelength... $630 x 60 students should buy some quality instruction in addition to the track time
'07 RX-8 - <3
'91 RX-7 Vert - Work daily

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (Bandit FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (Bandit FC, PTC Edition)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
I finally had time to read everything Kris wrote - some good advice in there. Everyone's learning style is different, and an assessment of where they're at would seem to me to be a necessary baseline to establish. Personally, I have found it difficult to drive how I normally drive with someone sitting in the passenger seat yelling at me - much easier when we can have a conversation outside of the car with helmets off.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a coordinated effort to get all instructors onto the same wavelength... $630 x 60 students should buy some quality instruction in addition to the track time
I didn't have to read Kris's post to know that it would be full of good info. I jest because I don't know if it is he or I that is more long winded when it come to posting on here.

I guess there is the benefit of getting different perspectives on things by NOT taking steps to get everyone to tow some imaginary company line. If they are going to rotate instructors and students around a bit then this could be a benefit.

The schedule provides lots of time for out of car discussion but it is not specific about how instructor assignments will work.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm0791 View Post
I didn't have to read Kris's post to know that it would be full of good info. I jest because I don't know if it is he or I that is more long winded when it come to posting on here.

I guess there is the benefit of getting different perspectives on things by NOT taking steps to get everyone to tow some imaginary company line. If they are going to rotate instructors and students around a bit then this could be a benefit.

The schedule provides lots of time for out of car discussion but it is not specific about how instructor assignments will work.
haha, it's definitely Kris (re: who is more long winded).

I can see benefits and downsides to rotating people through.

Pros - Lots of exposure to different styles, if you get stuck with someone who is less compatible with your learning style you'll get rotated to another person shortly. Hearing that you're doing something wrong from multiple people may leave more of an impression.

Cons - Lots of exposure to different styles (could hear contradictory advice in the same day), may not spend enough time with any one person to get meaningful assessment/feedback on your driving, may not cover all of the topics that you need to cover since each instructor would have little clue what was discussed by their predecessor.
'07 RX-8 - <3

Castrol -
Old 05-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
haha, it's definitely Kris (re: who is more long winded).

I can see benefits and downsides to rotating people through.

Pros - Lots of exposure to different styles, if you get stuck with someone who is less compatible with your learning style you'll get rotated to another person shortly. Hearing that you're doing something wrong from multiple people may leave more of an impression.

Cons - Lots of exposure to different styles (could hear contradictory advice in the same day), may not spend enough time with any one person to get meaningful assessment/feedback on your driving, may not cover all of the topics that you need to cover since each instructor would have little clue what was discussed by their predecessor.
I guess you can always request a different instructor if you clash with the one you have or if you just want a different perspective.

I don't know what they are doing with regards to that, but if you don't ask you won't know.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm0791 View Post
I guess you can always request a different instructor if you clash with the one you have or if you just want a different perspective.

I don't know what they are doing with regards to that, but if you don't ask you won't know.
All good on my end, just thinking out loud above on pros/cons. Pretty sure we are paired up with someone for the day or weekend.
'07 RX-8 - <3

Castrol -
Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

I gotta go back and read the last page but I am concerned about the caliber of student I may get. . One of those initial d Groat road guys that know it all. .. Josh.

Honestly I just how I get a receptive student that really wants to learn. Which is very likely
Old 05-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
I gotta go back and read the last page but I am concerned about the caliber of student I may get. . One of those initial d Groat road guys that know it all. .. Josh.

Honestly I just how I get a receptive student that really wants to learn. Which is very likely
Don't worry, I specifically asked Jed for an instructor who is faster than me
'07 RX-8 - <3

Castrol -
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

i hope greg's student likes hearing about iracing for 4 hours a day.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.