Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon_x View Post
The "everyone is cheating so I need to as well" mentallity is crap.
it IS 100% crap, but that is how i tell who is a shit driver because they inevitably will grumble about how everyone cheats making it obvious (and they just admitted) that they cheat, and imo anyone justifying cheating because 'everyone' cheats is more likely slower then everyone else because they are not on the same level as a driver.

i flat out do not hide anything done to any of my cars. mainly cuz i'm actually too lazy to cheat because that involves modifications and hiding mods which is way too much work for me to bother doing.

unfortunately, i have no clue how many people cheat, and i really can't be bothered to pay attention to what is done to other people's cars; just that some obviously do, even at chumpcar, even at autocrap, even at lapping days .

i just wish people could build a damn spec car and not tinker with it. for fucks sake, if u want to get into spec racing, u are doing so because u want to compare driver to driver, so what the hell is the point of modding the shit out of it and winning by spending more money then others. if u want to do that, plenty of other classes.
Castrol: NA FC 43.1 IT2 class track record until we run the short track again which may be never.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon_x View Post
I find it absolutely amazing that people require cheating to get ahead. How you can even hold your head up knowing that you are cheating to place (or bending the rules, however excuses are made)

I doubt anyone is getting an F1 contract due to their showing at the Eurasia Cup, so why not challenge yourself to race in the class your car actually fits than trying to slide something over the organizers.

The "everyone is cheating so I need to as well" mentallity is crap.

If I managed to run this event in the future, I would request that I be put in whatever the highest class was just for the sake of competition

Just my $0.02
Nobody is talking about cheating. I think maybe you should read the whole thread.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Co-driver

Im in no mans land with my car, its about the same as some quicker gt3 and wouldnt be competitive in gt2. Im happy with what the club puts me in, and I pretty much figure gt2 next year.

Matt and the gang do a great job giving us the opportunity to be out at Indy and the club races.

Too much talk and not enough racing ! Bring your cars out to lapping or get on with building as car as you know you wanna, But for club racing look at the rules and build a car competitive for the class your going in.

Now I have to go back to the web to surf for parts I cant afford.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Driver

there is also things like this to consider. i ran my drift car with factory brakes, factory trans, two way diff so a factory one might have been faster, car has lots of power... i ran in gt1. the twin car to mine makes about 70 hp less but ran in gt2. fastest lap from my car was a 143. and fastest lap from twin car was 153. technically both cars should be gt1 based on turbo 13b. but one car is 10 seconds a lap slower... these are the types of things that the organizers take into account when making up the class lists. are they perfect...no! are the organizers great guys who put in a tonne of effort for us to be able to race... HELL YA!!! thanks guys. you did a great job again. do it again next year!!! DO IT!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Nobody is talking about cheating. I think maybe you should read the whole thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Hey Matt, is there an at the track check for power or weight? I know the NASA events have a dynojet and pick cars for inspection. If the power is off by a certain amount, then penalties apply. Dyno may not be feasible, but a scale could be done. The fear of a random inspection may be enough to keep people honest.
if theres a need to "keep people honest", I think it speaks for itself.

Stratotech Int'l Raceway times
Formula Arcobaleno........................................ ...........60.18
2010 Evo X GSR............................................... .........63.02
2008 Evo X MR (OLOA edition).....................................65.09
2000 BMW M5; stock, 380 treadwear............................74.40
1995 BMW stock, tired, road hard'n'put away wet 325i.. 76.09
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Driver

Quote:
No - we do not weigh individual cars. This race is not for championship points, it is not for any sort of money, it is very distinctly NOT a WCMA classed race, it is an exhibition put on for the entertainment of the public and for the benefit of amateur motorsports and exposure. Nothing more.
Gotcha, makes sense. It's a tough balance to strike between giving everyone a trophy, and making it too serious.

Just as a reference, here's the power to weight protocol that I was talking about: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/gts_rules.pdf

But again NASA is for a season and championship points.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

the opportunity to be involved with an event like this is out of most peoples reach. We are very fortunate to have this in our backyard and an organization to host it.

I cant believe I got suckered out of town on a mini vacation

Stratotech Int'l Raceway times
Formula Arcobaleno........................................ ...........60.18
2010 Evo X GSR............................................... .........63.02
2008 Evo X MR (OLOA edition).....................................65.09
2000 BMW M5; stock, 380 treadwear............................74.40
1995 BMW stock, tired, road hard'n'put away wet 325i.. 76.09
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Newb

Quote:
I've yet to field what I feel is a valid complaint from a single competitor on any of these issues. Were you a competitor? If so please let me know who you are and what you were driving so we can further discuss this at the next club meeting. I welcome feedback from competitors.

The bottom line is that forced induction or no forced induction doesn't matter. What matters is power to weight with some displacement factor thrown in to ensure guys aren't intentionally sandbagging. In the case of the forced induction neon that got moved it in fact had a higher power to weight ratio than the rest of the cars in the class and that's why it got moved.

In the case of the miatas there is no way to make sure that everybody can bring a competitive car and win a trophy. We are not going to create more classes so people can feel like they've won something. We appreciate all competitors and their entries but the way it works out means that in every class there are going to be some competitors with less competitive chassis than others. In this case as I have stated twice already the turbo miata makes a conservative ~150 crank horsepower if the driver is lucky (as advertised by Greddy the stock kit on 6psi is good for 30 CHP - he was running 9psi so 50 is a good guess on a 1.6L engine).

I think it's also prudent to remind you that the fellow you're feeling so badly for attempted to build a turbo charged miata way back when to compete in the Indy and was also slated to be classed in GTP4 based on power/weight numbers. Unless you are talking about Mark in the Red/Silver car in which case I'd say he did pretty damn well considering he'd never raced that car before the weekend.

I again invite you to attend an NASCC club meeting to further discuss this issue if you still feel the need.
Sorry did not respond sooner as I was out of town for a week. I'm not a competitor but I'm a Miata enthusiast and love to see these Miata on tracks racing each other.