Straightpipe Forums
Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Co-driver

Default Motorsports News App - RaceReadr

As a recovering computer programmer turned software development manager, I occasionally fall off the wagon and take on some kind of development side project for the sake of interest and learning. Most recently I created a mobile app that you might find useful. For fellow gearheads, it's a really quick easy way to get the latest racing news - just in time for the start of the 2016 racing season. (For fellow nerds, the tech I was interested in exploring was hybrid app development with Cordova/Phonegap and the use of the MVVM pattern in a SPA architecture).

RaceReadr is a news reader for motorsports fans. It is deliberately designed to be super simple to use, with a clean uncluttered interface, no login required and almost no configuration needed. Simply choose from a variety racing types and RaceReader will bring you the latest headlines from the best racing news sites. Tap a headline to read the story and long press (touch and hold) to share it via twitter, fb, etc, or to save it to your favourite "read it later" app, like Pocket.

RaceReadr also has a couple other tricks you might not even notice but that are pretty cool: Behind the scenes in super-secret data centres, RaceReadr employs a small army of news-reading robots to improve the quality of the headlines that you see. These nifty robots are working hard to remove duplicate news stories and filtering out all the obvious spammy linkbait headlines that pollute so much of the web. If you really are looking for weird diet tricks and shocking celebrity videos, then RaceReadr just isnít for you, sorry.

RaceReadr works on almost all Android and iOS smartphones and tablets. For tightwads, there's a free version you can try out or use as long as you like. If you have comments, good or bad, or suggestions for additional news sources you'd like to see added to the app, please let me know.

Check it out here: http://apps.denovopro.ca/racereadr/

Some screenshots:

1996 Honda Civic ChumpCar
Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

This is awesome.

Post it on reddit.com/r/motorsports - they'd love it. I've seen a question like this asked on /r/formula1 as well.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

This is awesome.

Post it on reddit.com/r/motorsports - they'd love it. I've seen a question like this asked on /r/formula1 as well.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Co-driver

Good to know you have these skills Jim. Muahahaha
Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Co-driver

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. I'm not really clear on the reddiquette for linking to your own content and I basically suck at self-promotion so I had not thought of that.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 AM
Co-driver

I've published an update to the RaceReadr app, v1.3. This update is mostly to upgrade the app framework to address some potential security issues on the Android platform, but I also added a new feature that had been requested by one of my customers - grouping headlines by date range. Enjoy.