Straightpipe Forums
Old 09-30-2016, 05:16 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Default Chris's LS RX7 build

I decided that I should piece together a build of my car here. Some of you are Facebook friends and may have seen many of these pictures there.

This is where it all started, back in August of 2010. This is basically the first picture I took of the car. It was taken in Radium, on the way back from picking it up in Sacramento.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Co-driver

Worst. Build thread. Ever. Basically one picture that could have been stolen from anywhere on the internet. Booo. Show us the goods, man!

1996 Honda Civic ChumpCar
Old 09-30-2016, 09:30 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormojo View Post
Worst. Build thread. Ever. Basically one picture that could have been stolen from anywhere on the internet. Booo. Show us the goods, man!

I'm getting there ... In my defense it was late, I have the flu, and the battery on my phone was nearly dead. I did manage to upload about 102 photos from my phone to Photobucket just for this thread. I also realized that I don't have a lot of detail "did this, did that then did this" type photos ... Or even a lot of before photos ... Just lots of after photos.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Super awesome fantastic!

It all started back in 2010. I was about to graduate from business school and, as I had done pretty well, I decided that I wanted a toy car again. A couple years of Forester/Outback will do that for you. My previous toy car had been a Lotus Elise ... It was awful, but it did teach me what I didn't want in a car. I wanted torque (real torque, not the supercharged tiny motor kind), I wanted front engine rear drive. I wanted 'simple' (my Miata taught me that). And it had to be, relatively, light. My complicated history of cars* all worked to lead me where I ended up.

I started looking at a bunch of things (none of which I can remember now) but they were all flawed in some way or another ... Too heavy, too new, too old, too much money, too hideous ... I had liked the FD since new, but could never justify the 50,000 1993 dollars at the time. I had no desire for a rotary, which didn't help. I don't like the sound, I don't like the cost, I didn't like the "fine one day, junk the next" experience I had with my 1983 ... So that, was that ... RX7 was off the list, on to other things. But they were all still flawed. Around about this time, drifting was trying to be a big thing in the US (the beginning of the end that has netted us the shit imitation of what was once an interesting idea) and there was a guy drifting an LS powered FD in the states .... Some research turned up that there was a subframe, mounts, headers ... Everything necessary to do the swap. The same research turned up that after buying a local car (they were about $12,000 locally for a decent one) plus the parts was going to turn into real money and a boat load of work. It also turned up this ad:
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?to...20066#msg20066

Pictures have vanished I see, I thought I had them saved somewhere. For $19000 it seemed the perfect solution. It had the heads I had chosen, it was the right colors, it was largely unmolested beyond the swap, it has been done by "the authority" on the LS/FD swap (Hinson Supercars) and had been driven for several years ... So any bugs had long since been worked out.

So, a stack of cash, a money belt, and a plane ticket later and I was driving back from Sacramento in a 500 ish HP V8 RX7, with no real idea what I was going to do with it when I got back to Edmonton.

* several S30 Z cars, first gen RX7 who's engine blew up, several S13 240sx (one that I SR20DET swapped), 1987 5.0 mustang, WRX swapped 2 door GC8, aforementioned Elise to name a few.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:39 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Jeeze, let's add some more multimedia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKL9p20PNts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasChichak View Post
the neon is my dream race car

Last edited by GrantC; 10-01-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:50 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Geez ... Some people are so impatient.

One of the first things I had to fix was that the brake pedal height was low. Being that the car was an auto car, it had to be converted to manual. Evidently, when Hinson built the car they installed the new brake pedal box without bothering to adjust the pushrod length. This meant that when the brakes were applied in the standard heel/toe fashion, the gas pedal was depressed by about a centimeter. ... This caused much excitement when I discovered it. This was a boring fix so I have no pictures.

I do have pictures of the throttle linkage: Picture 1 is the throttle body at idle. #2 is the throttle held wide open by hand. #3 is how far the throttle was being opened via the gas pedal. The friends who drove it before all agreed that it was terrifyingly fast ... With about 60% throttle.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

The next order of business was the horrible sounding exhaust.

The Hinson standard exhaust was shorty headers with 2x3" into 1x3.5" via a truly hideous T pipe (I don't think it deserves to be called even a Y pipe) ... I don't have a photo, but the net did. It used a dyno max round bodied muffler.

It was loud and as unmusical as one could imagine. So I built this, the dent is to clear the torque arm that replaces the power plant frame.

It uses 2 magnaflow resonators (chosen for their ability to have a 4" round case on a 3" pipe) on either side of the diff and 2 magnaflow 3" oval mufflers mounted side by side, on edge, in the factory location. This all is fairly heavy, but it keeps it fairly quiet and the X pipe gives it a bit of a howl instead of the usual coarseness of a pickup truck. I thought I had pictures, but they are not on my phone.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

To make clearance for the V8. It is necessary to lower the steering rack ... They may also push it forward, but not much.

To correct the steering geometry, a bump steer kit is utilized.

Which I evidently do not have a picture of ... But this will give you the idea:

The simplified process is to lower the pivot point of the outer ty rod end down so that the arc proscribed by the tyrod assembly "lines up" with the arc proscribed by the spindle/steering arm. Problem was, that the studs with the spacers were not long enough to move things far enough (not to mention that I didn't really want to offset things that much anyway) so it became necessary to space the rack back up a little bit. It is very, very, very close to the oil pan now ... In fact, I had to grind a bit off of the power steering line boss to ensure some clearance. This photo doesn't show that, but it does show the spacer below the rack mounts clearly in shiny silver aluminum.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Some where in here the car had finally been to Stratotech.

Some photos by Grant revealed this:

Clearly, some more brake was needed. I will give the Porterfield R-4 pads credit here. They were a pretty good price and they were still stopping the car just fine.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Super awesome fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasChichak View Post
the neon is my dream race car