Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Newb

Exclamation Mazda Miata Ice Racing proposed Spec Class (I-SM)

SEE ATTACHED PDF DOCUMENT!!!

Further to the discussion below regarding the evolution of RWD ice racing in Alberta, I would like to put another proposed ice racing class out there for discussion. This is just a proposal and will have to be discussed at the NASCC meetings before we know where this is going to end up.

Please comment as I value your feedback. I especially want to hear from anyone who wants to enter this class this season and the reason why.
I will be bringing this to the next meeting (Wednesday Sept 16, 2015) for further review and possible approval for this season.

Cheers,
Todd Maliteare
CH Class Rep
Attached Files
File Type: pdf I-SM.pdf (147.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Newb

Thumbs up

This seems like a natural step!

I will point out that there are a few of the rules that would preclude many existing Spec Miata road race cars from competing (eg. gutted passenger door, e-brake removed, non-OE clutch, offset bushings, spec head work, etc.)

Perhaps it's been considered already, but I would suggest adopting the full SCCA SM rule set, with different suspension allowances. Some mixture of OE parts that would be more suitable for ice, or just the spec suspension package with different spring rates. Makes it easy for dual purpose cars, or for converting a retired road race car to an ice racer.

Also worth noting; there is quite a range of OE suspension packages available. Spring rates and swaybar sizes varied, and some cars were came with the Bilstein shocks we run in Spec Miata.

Whatever the case, I'm interested to see how this develops!

Chris
Old 09-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Newb

ChrisS makes some good points,

You could try running them as a full Spec Miata. is likely possible if that cars running Studded tires (springs are 700/325), and allow a plexi side glass of some sort.

to run on non-stud rubber, you would likely need to soft the springs and swaybars
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Co-driver

Would need to change the Vehicle Ballast section wording to be appropriate for a miata.

Good luck with your initiative.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Newb

All good points. We can discuss how existing Spec Miata cars fit in at the meetings. That said there is no reason you cant run a spec miata in the existing race stud class with unlimited bolted tires. Go fast and win races!!!

Good point on the ballast wording. I will fix that up but if you want to PM me some verbage that would work better I could use the help.

Thanks,
Todd

Tags
ice racing, miata