Straightpipe Forums

Go Back   Straightpipe Forums > The Clubhouse > NASCC

Old 02-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Co-driver

Default Some Random Cool Ideas for Road Race Events and for Growing the Race Community

Share your positive ideas here! In no particular order!

Note:
I recognize that there is already a massive amount of organization and effort needed to put together a regular race weekend and it is highly appreciated by all. They are great events and I'm sure we're all very excited to participate this coming season. Our race workers are truly dedicated and I'm really very impressed by the time and hard work contributed by the race organizers and those people who have to wear multiple hats among the WCMA, NASCC, ARCA, CSCC, Castrol and others that keep it all going. When you consider that some of these same people also organize either Ice Racing, Rallycross, Solo or Rally etc, the ongoing contribution they make is significant and commendable.

It's possible that none of these event-related ideas will be doable in our region for perfectly valid reasons including cost or manpower for example, but some might be possible at some point in the future if they are seen as positive and if the group is so inclined. Some other ideas that happen to get mentioned might be initiatives that have been previously discussed and addressed by organizers/clubs and are now in the works by some of our members, whether we are aware of them or not. Other ideas here will be just for fun because they are interesting to chat about even if not likely to be doable, so they shouldn't be taken too seriously. In any case they should all be positively geared comments. No complaining.

Similarly, ideas towards how to grow our race community (whether racers, workers, spectators, media or social media followers) and how to make the racing more interesting to follow and be a part of, are welcome. Ideas on how to attract additional corporate sponsorship for our group as a whole (not re individual car sponsorship) could be discussed too for example.

I hear a lot of good ideas from fellow racers and others and they don't always get shared on the forum, in group discussions or in club meetings and therefore not heard by the right people. The mobilizers among us can read through this chatter at their leisure and it may spark some new positive initiatives or ideas. This isn't a make work project for moderators either so if there is an already existing busy thread specific to your idea, please use your good judgement whether the comments would be better suited there rather than here. Rules specifics would be a good example.

I'll start things off.
I just saw this announcement for a NASA event:

"LOCAL RACING

NASA opens its season at Road Atlanta

The National Auto Sports Association looks to be the first event to take place at Road Atlanta this year. Street cars such as the American Iron, Endurance Challenges and Spec Miata will be in action. The race is set to be held March 14-16 and tickets are as low as $10 (for members only). Fans will be allowed to camp out. Parents can enjoy a day on the track while they drop their kids off at the Teenage Driving School. For more information, including other ticket pricing and start times, call Road Atlanta at 1-800-849-RACE."
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Co-driver

Default Article About What Big Corporate Sponsors Look For

And on "growing audience".

A worthwhile read:

http://brandrenaline.com/2012/03/02/...randy-bernard/

"1) The audience needs to be able to relate to the talent of the athletes.

2) There has to be something significant on the line. In other words, the ‘prize’ for winning has to be substantial.

3) You need to have the very best competing at your events."

Re 1) "...the challenge is that unless you’ve driven a race car, it is hard to “see” Will Power’s talent and relate to it. To the masses – the general public – Will looks the same as Danica going through any given corner. But there is clearly a difference in talent that is hard to appreciate."

Re 2) "...A monumental prize for the winner, and significant lost opportunity for the loser. The audience needs jubilation driven not just by financial gain, but by the prestige of winning, and they need heartache and disappointment. They need to see success and failure at the highest level. "

Last edited by GTcalgary; 02-21-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added content/summary
Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Driver

I have been thinking that an organized mentorship program would be very helpful to people trying to get into the sport. When I was running the PCA autocrosses, I tried to link people up with some of the more experienced participants to help them feel more comfortable. Personally, I've got a lot of stupid questions that I'd like to ask about WCMA and road racing.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Co-driver

Default uStream

Greg Cloutier ran live in-car uStream from his Spec Miata for a couples of races last season. Spectators or even those at home/relatives can follow the action and get an edge of their seat view. Greg mentioned that it would be good if a few more of us did the same thing and maybe post a list of channels on a central website & on a board near the bleachers.

If we wanted to get really fancy, we could think about setting up a couple of reallllly bright TVs close to the bleachers and cycle through in-car streams, drone shots and Race Monitor (iPhone app) live timing/standings. Adds to the popcorn factor even for racer-type onlookers.

Mesh Wi-Fi, A/V and Cellular experts feel free to chime in. (I was going to set up live-video and standings this season in my race trailer where I have two monitors set up anyways).

Harry's Lap Timer (app) software could also be used by multiple racers to show exactly where the cars are on track etc. http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Online_Racing.html
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Co-driver

Default Article on Declining NASCAR Audience and What We Can Learn From It

http://brandrenaline.com/2012/03/06/...steve-jobs-do/

"He’d use technology – at the highest level – to completely change the way fans consume the content. But he would not market the ‘technology’. He’d market the experience… the engagement. He’d make it cool to be a NASCAR fan. You would not just watch a NASCAR race on TV. You’d consume the content in a simple, user-friendly, meaningful-to-you, kinda way. At the track, it’d be same, only cooler.

Steve would also re-write the rule books and change the org charts of the teams. Technology would be encouraged that allows the fan to have a deeper understanding of the sport. This is key. The fan does not need to know how they got the content. They just need ‘content’ to deepen their relationship with the sport. When Steve rolls out the new iWhatever, his pitch always goes straight to the customer experience. This is what he’d do with NASCAR."
Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Newb

there's a winter road that runs from fort smith (peace point, actually) to fort mcmurray (fort McKay, actually) via fort chipewyan that would make a helluva rally course. really twisty in the national park portion, then opens up in the delta. 600 kms long I think.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/woodbuf...t7/visit9.aspx

http://www.woodbuffalo.ab.ca/Assets/...t-chip-map.pdf
Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Co-driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
there's a winter road that runs from fort smith (peace point, actually) to fort mcmurray (fort McKay, actually) via fort chipewyan that would make a helluva rally course. really twisty in the national park portion, then opens up in the delta. 600 kms long I think.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/woodbuf...t7/visit9.aspx

http://www.woodbuffalo.ab.ca/Assets/...t-chip-map.pdf
Too far away. On top of that, we already are pretty good for rallies in Alberta... we have 3 (including one in Invermere). Not that I'd ever try to stop someone from organizing a rally and would actively encourage it, but most teams are based south of Red Deer, so the distance for a regional event would be significant.

I think the Leduc 1000 seems to be getting a bit of general press, if there is one thing Mike is good at doing, it's press related stuff. If everyone took a bit of their racing dedicated time and focused it on solely promoting the sport, that would add a lot of free exposure that would go a long way IMO.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Newb

well out of the way, but imagine the money syncrude and their ilk would donate to promote an event that showcased fort mac in a positive manner!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Slow

Send a message via ICQ to matt Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well out of the way, but imagine the money syncrude and their ilk would donate to promote an event that showcased fort mac in a positive manner!
They turned away requests for land use in the past due to liability... It sounds amazing but I'd be surprised if it ever got approval.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
They turned away requests for land use in the past due to liability... It sounds amazing but I'd be surprised if it ever got approval.
You might be surprised at what kind of 'experiences' could potentially get support up there from multiple parties - this has potential for several reasons. I'd be happy to talk offline with anyone wanting to try and promote this about how to position it.
'07 RX-8 - <3
'91 RX-7 Vert - Work daily

Stratotech - 72.2 (EM2), 71.1 (RedSuns NA FC 2011 spec), 71.2 (NA MR2)

Castrol -
1:32.99 (Bandit FC - Chumpcar Edition)
1:29.1 (Bandit FC, PTC Edition)